• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED A period correct homespun style fiddlers cap in linen or linen/cotton mix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am looking for a seamstress/hat maker that can make me a 19th century period correct homespun style fiddlers cap. These were also known as workmens caps. I am looking from one made in linen or cotton linen mix - off white or brown color.. The picture attached is what it would look like .... brim, somewhat wide strap around the head, flappy, baggy top, etc. This may be a long shot but I hope if anyone knows a person they think might be interersted in making this cap for me, contact them for me please so I can send them measurements.

Attachments

• fiddlers hat.JPG
    fiddlers hat.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I’ve never seen them referred to as being a ‘workmans’ cap, though I am more familiar with early French ‘fashion’ versus that of the dreaded Anglais, but called as a ‘newsboy’ type cap (distinctively different that a ‘flat’ driving cap); being floppier they that actually date back to the 1400s, see: Newsboy Caps – 5 Intriguing Facts – Hat Realm

But yes, they were extremely popular with the working class … since it was dictated by law, LOL!

Last edited:
I’ve never seen them referred to as being a ‘workmans’ cap, though I am more familiar with early French ‘fashion’ versus that of the dreaded Anglais, but called as a ‘newsboy’ type cap (distinctively different that a ‘flat’ driving cap); being floppier they that actually date back to the 1400s, see: Newsboy Caps – 5 Intriguing Facts – Hat Realm

But yes, they were extremely popular with the working class … since it was dictated by law, LOL!
Thanks for the link. That was interesting ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Hello! I have some of that fabric. Do you want it lined with the same fabric or with muslin? The fabric that I have is cotton. I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

I made a YouTube about the 8 or so caps I made last winter. These caps have morphed and evolved over the centuries. At a certain point many are hybrids of each other.
See Acharya james oermann on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back