• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A/O's December GEEZER SHOOT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
8 hardy shooters, a very cold woods walk. We were very happy to get back to the fireplace to warm our hands and toes!
Nit Wit
thumbnail_20211210_112808.jpg

Mushka.........I came to the conclusion that foiks playing w/ m/l's are natural mechanics with skills leaning that way. The moderns don't have to repair their own cars , or not much of anything these days. Too bad they can't put down the button box ,and pickup a m/l gun to figure out how they work before we are all too old to teach them.........oldwood

Geezers can know stuff , and when they talk, you too might become a "Super Geezer" overflowing with knowledge to generously share with the unknowing. The same happens here on the forum and m/l shooting ranges all over America.

Wow, I'm not young but I'd be young in this crowd. Sign me up, I'd probably learn a few things. The woods walk near me stopped a few years ago when the guy who was the driving force passed away.

Last edited:
I try to teach all that will lesson. I taught many young girls to weld, granted it was only Mig but then they had bragging rights to their boy friends. My one Son I taught part of what I know so I know he will take and use both my Lathe and Mill when it's time. But it doesn't have to be youngins, my buddy is only 64 and I have always worked on his 1943 WLA, about 6 years ago I had a talk with him that he better learn as I wont be around forever. Now he does the work and I just am around for the rare question he might have.

Wow, I'm not young but I'd be young in this crowd. Sign me up, I'd probably learn a few things. The woods walk near me stopped a few years ago when the guy who was the driving force passed away.
Step up, think of what will be lost if you don't!
NW

Step up, think of what will be lost if you don't!
NW
I am retiring in the fall and have thought about approaching the club to get the shoots started again. I'm sure it only requires someone to take the reigns and get things rolling again.

I enjoyed the woods walks in January through April. They skip may due to black fly infestation and had a 2 day shoot in June.

If you've never been in the northeast woods in may/early June and haven't experienced black fly season, you don't know what you're missing.

When I started to do real hunts, not the one's I did as a kid with a BB gun. Back in the fifties I was the literal kid 16 or 17, and all the guys I hunted were from their mid 30's to about 50. All WWII vets and they knew their stuff. I was lucky and they all passed their knowledge and skills, freely given to me. I am grateful beyond belief for knowing real men. I have few friends today because I only know a couple of men that are the quality of those old guys and I won't drop my expectations of what I consider good. I miss the old guys. I try to have their skills and morals but sometimes I feel I am deficient but I keep trying.

Mushka........I too was raised by real men. One was a WW-1 vet. . A couple WW-2 vets , West Virginia coal miners , all good folks. We hunted , fished , trapped , shot trap , attended a hunting camp , and worked together. A young guy can learn from folks like these. My dear old dad, was a professional Machinist , and a mechanical genius. Not a day goes by , I don't cash in on some bit of knowledge passed to me from them. I feel sorry , young kids these days , are so attached to their phones . they have little interest in learning practical common sense knowledge , or history. ............oldwood

Grandson of a WW1 Australian Light Horseman, son of a WW2 Paratrooper, our generation were brought up by Veterans and hardy frugal grandmothers / mothers who were raised in depressions and luxury deficient eras.
They instilled in us Independence, Self sufficiency; Clear thought; and an instinct to know when we were being bullshitted to by others.
Thank God we were raised by them.

There was no fast food. If ya wanted a fish dinner ,only place to get that was from a lake , stream ,or someones farm pond. The nearest Pizza shop was 25 miles away. There were no allowances. If money was scarce , ya trapped , did farm work , or worked part time, in some small business. Was good prep work for later life.

Latest posts

Back