• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A nice double gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Folks seem to be posting about double guns recently. Here is my pheasant gun. Belgian laminated steel barrels, 13 gauge, fine locks, engraving, and stock. The gun was probably made in the mid-19th century based on the barrel marks. I don't know where it was made other than the barrels are Belgian. Unlike most heavy modern repro doubles, this one weighs about 6 lbs and swings like a dream.

dave
ZnTuO7m.jpg

ZmmBUyc.jpg

rqbpJCg.jpg

DqTw5cH.jpg

nc0r2ae.jpg

From the photos, your gun seems to be in remarkably good condition. Did you have to do any cosmetic stock or metal finishing work? If not, man, what a score.

Hi,
Frank, both barrels are cylinder bore so 25-30 yards max when shooting at a bird. However, I slayed a lot of pheasants with it. It is in mint condition with some wear on one fence by being played with by kids and some worn screw slots. It was probably only test fired until I got it. It was a gift during the Depression to my grandfather from someone at Bannerman's for work done for the firm. I am told it spent most of its early life stored away on Bannerman's Island and then eventually put up for sale at the NYC store. That is when my grandfather was gifted the gun. Neither he or my dad ever fired it. I patterned it of course but the first shot in the field killed a pheasant. The locks are so well made they make the modern commercial ones look kind of sad. They have to be placed in the mortices exactly right to push them in because the inletting is so precise.

dave

Wow! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

Nothing more needs saying!

Best I've seen in many a year. Those Continentals really knew their stuff.

Dave Person said:
Hi,
Frank, both barrels are cylinder bore so 25-30 yards max when shooting at a bird. However, I slayed a lot of pheasants with it. It is in mint condition with some wear on one fence by being played with by kids and some worn screw slots. It was probably only test fired until I got it. It was a gift during the Depression to my grandfather from someone at Bannerman's for work done for the firm. I am told it spent most of its early life stored away on Bannerman's Island and then eventually put up for sale at the NYC store. That is when my grandfather was gifted the gun. Neither he or my dad ever fired it. I patterned it of course but the first shot in the field killed a pheasant. The locks are so well made they make the modern commercial ones look kind of sad. They have to be placed in the mortices exactly right to push them in because the inletting is so precise.

dave
A nice looking gun for export Belgium Manufacture it looks as though it has not done too much work or it has been restored too far .But it looks like a gun that will be a good shooter with true cylinder for game [who needs choke} shoot it and enjoy it
Feltwad

Hi Feltwad,
As far as I know it was never restored or refinished. The finish is superb, as is the engraving and checkering. All of the steel mounts show original finish, although worn in many places. I use it quite a bit bot for hunting and shooting clay birds. I have to admit, I do better shooting a single barreled fowler than a double. Somehow, I acquire my aiming point faster with a single. Regardless, I love shooting the gun and even just like cocking the hammers. The springs are so fluid but strong and the sear engagement sounds like the tick of a fine watch. My friend always leaves with a sad face when he brings his Pedersoli double over to shoot with me on my range and I let him shoot my gun.

dave

Thanks Gus,
You have to be close to the bird before flushing. It really helps to hunt over a good dog with this gun. I don't have a bird dog but have friends who do. In addition, Gus, the bird is rarely still in range if I miss the first shot and try to fire the second. I am just not fast enough to take advantage of the second shot so I hunt with it like I have 2 single barreled guns at hand. When I am out alone with no dog for pheasant or grouse, I prefer a long single barreled fowler, which gives me more time to lock on target.

dave

Hi Dave

That's a beautiful double for sure. And there's always that extra .....something you get being able to shoot a high quality original. Can't explain it, but you guys know what I mean. :haha:
And great story of how you obtained it. Nice piece.

Rick :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

It's especially good to have the family history with such a piece. Anyone with money could go out and buy something comparable and be proud to show off his bling. But the deep family ties are beyond price.

A bud located a rifle built and signed by his ancestor in the Revolutionary era. It's not in the greatest shape and he didn't pay a lot for it. But no amount of money could buy the happiness in the world when his own young grandson subsequently took his first deer with it.

Here's hoping your treasure can continue to enrich your family through future generations!

Hi,
Speaking of craftsmanship, below is a photo showing a lock mortice and the inside of one of the locks. I don't believe it gets any better than this. This gun has always been my model of quality to aspire to.

dave
K3o0whv.jpg

Back