• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Newbie wanting more info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do not need to modify the stock on a Lyman or any other rifle with a crescent butt plate. When you raise the gun to firing position, you place it a bit farther out from the shoulder, more like just outside the shoulder socket, above the bicep. You turn your face just slightly to whatever is comfortable and allows you to line up the sights. To me, I feel like my body is just slightly turned toward the gun. This also lets your body turn a bit and help absorb the recoil from the gun, not that there is that much recoil. My .54s with heavy loads can get your attention though.

What you have read about having to modify the stock comes from people who have not learned about how to shoot the gun and have incorrectly assumed that's the best thing to do and so misinformation gets spread on the internet and it becomes a false statement that folks like to believe.

Yes, I KNOW it's an unmentionable, but it is in support of Mr Yankee's post above. This young man, who probably weighed in at around 110# at the time, was shooting a real firearm - not an airgun - for the first time in his life [this is UK remember]. The load was 60gr of 3Fg behind a 500gr bullet. So, NOT a plinking load, by any means.

This is the butt -

1634819831995.png

And this is youngster shooting it -

Last edited:
I'm an old timer & the internet wasn't around back when i started & i was actually the 1st guy in the area where i lived that ordered a TC Hawken kit gun from the local gun shop. That said, I learned a lot from the Dixie Gun Works catalog & from a couple books I ordered from them, that's still the best way to learn & you always have them to refer back to. I would recommend not jumping in and spending a lot of money buying a high-end rifle just in case you decide it's not for you. Good luck

I can feel myself getting eaten up with the muzzleloader bug just looking at y’all’s rifles. I want a .54 cal percussion hawken I have looked at lymans but don’t really like the idea of having to modify the stock of the gun because everyone says the butt is sharp. I found the Pedersoli traditonal hunter hawken with the peep sight that i also really like. Heres the problem I don’t truly understand the twist rate as I don’t understand the projectiles as much, only experience I have is I have a modern muzzle loader I put 2 “pellets” of powder down then shove what looks like a modern day hollow point with a rubber cap on the base of it to seat with the powder is this a sabot? I wouldn’t mind using these in a percussion style rifle to be most effect on game is this what the 1:24 twist barrel is for vs the 1:48. I mainly will kill whitetail deer in Texas less than 50 yards but one day would want to take this Rifle elk hunting which a lot of states don’t allow sabots i believe, leaving me thinking i will need a rifle that will stabilize balls or the mini round (I believe this is the more conical looking round with the ribs for lube). How effective are these rifles with the various projectiles? Also is there a muzzleloading book for beginners that covers all the basics on them that i can study before purchasing.(ie Cleaning, loading tricks, common loads)
Also is it worth it for me to just jump right into the high end of rifles or should i purchase a mid tier before fully committing. Any places in Texas yall know where i can look at these rifles before purchasing?
Thank you so much for helping again I am dead fresh into this and I am very excited so please excuse the lack of knowledge.
After you've read more and done research you might consider a used Lyman. I have several and they have all proven to be reliably good shooters. Mine are 1:48 twist to shoot conicals (my choice) or round balls. Any one of 'em will shoot better than deer accuracy.

Welcome aboard fishingfool! I've been known to be kind of a fool chasing salmon and walleye.
Lots of good info on this forum. Nothing wrong with the Lyman great plains rifle. Mine shoots great groups with a .530 patched ball and ffg. I've never had a deer complain and no problems with the butt stock.

Fishing Fool, where in Texas are you? Like Griz says, If we know where you are we can help out face to face. I am in Central Texas and shoot with a group of people who will be able to show you what you need to know. Lots of knowledgeable guys here.

I just found a new Lyman GPR. The old Investarms version. .54 LH caplock. Just what I wanted. I agree there's nothing wrong with the butt plate. Those who complain don't know how to shoulder it.

I've used the .54 PRB for 40 years on elk and never lost one. No need for anything else. Poke a hole in both lungs and get out the skinning knife.

Fishing..... Welcome from Central Pa. Just so you know , don't be afraid of a .50 ,patched round ball. 20 yrs ago I shot a buck on the angle of the l/f shoulder. The ball broke the shoulder , and passed through most organs in the body cavity including the heart and a lung ,and stalled under the hide on the right rump. All that with 80 GR. FFFG , .54 woulda probably not stalled on the hide , but went on through.

Start attending the buckskinner rendezvous, that is a good place to buy a good, used rifle suitable for elk. I recommend a .54 caliber rifle with slow rifling twist rate for ball with a heavy charge of BP.

Find a local gun club with an active muzzleloading group, join them for regular practice as you need mentors.

Also, read everything by Sam Fadala. I recommend starting with:

Sam Fadala's Muzzleloading Notebook: The Complete Manual by the Dean of Muzzleloaders
by Sam Fadala | Dec 1, 1985

Back