• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A new Thanksgiving Tradition?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eterry

70 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
I've been making sausage over 20 years, built a low temp smoker byconverting an upright freezer and a double hot plate for heat.

Rytek Kutas' book has some great recipes, and I've read the smoked Turkey one a dozen times. I finally decided to try it.

I made 2 gallons of brine using instacure #1 and brown sugar. Pumped the 23lb bird with 10% of brine, then stored in the brine in the fridge for 2 days. Rinsed it then placed in stockinette bag.

Placed in preheated 130° smoker, vents open an hour. Then upped to 140° and applied heavy smoke for the next 12 hours via hickory sawdust.

Raised temp to 180° until bird reached 155°. It took 25 hours total cooking time.

My first cured smoked bird! The meat is pink, as it should be. The legs taste like what they sell at medieval times! We love it!

A couple of pics..

20201126_190545.jpg
20201126_190918.jpg

Back