• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A new rifle requires a new bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently assembled a Kibler SMR and decided that the rifle needed a bag that was more aesthetically suited to the SMR than the previous bags I have made, and so I made this bag to service my SMR. Cowhide body and flap, elk hide binding, goat hide outer flap hinge mated to deerskin inner flap hinge, canvas liner, hand forged buckle and deer antler toggle. Hand sew with waxed linen thread. Given a slightly worn used appearance, oiled, dyed and waxed. The small repair patch was a happy accident. During assembly I was unhappy to discover a dime sized very thin spot of leather that would likely tear at some future date and so I reluctantly did a preemptive repair. After completion of the bag I grew to like the patch, gives the bag a bit of character I think.
P5150043.jpeg

Attachments

• P5150039.jpeg
    P5150039.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 69
  • P5150037.jpeg
    P5150037.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 73
  • P5150035.jpeg
    P5150035.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P5150021.jpeg
    P5150021.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P5150010.jpeg
    P5150010.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 69
I recently assembled a Kibler SMR and decided that the rifle needed a bag that was more aesthetically suited to the SMR than the previous bags I have made, and so I made this bag to service my SMR. Cowhide body and flap, elk hide binding, goat hide outer flap hinge mated to deerskin inner flap hinge, canvas liner, hand forged buckle and deer antler toggle. Hand sew with waxed linen thread. Given a slightly worn used appearance, oiled, dyed and waxed. The small repair patch was a happy accident. During assembly I was unhappy to discover a dime sized very thin spot of leather that would likely tear at some future date and so I reluctantly did a preemptive repair. After completion of the bag I grew to like the patch, gives the bag a bit of character I think.View attachment 139701

Very nice!!!

I recently assembled a Kibler SMR and decided that the rifle needed a bag that was more aesthetically suited to the SMR than the previous bags I have made, and so I made this bag to service my SMR. Cowhide body and flap, elk hide binding, goat hide outer flap hinge mated to deerskin inner flap hinge, canvas liner, hand forged buckle and deer antler toggle. Hand sew with waxed linen thread. Given a slightly worn used appearance, oiled, dyed and waxed. The small repair patch was a happy accident. During assembly I was unhappy to discover a dime sized very thin spot of leather that would likely tear at some future date and so I reluctantly did a preemptive repair. After completion of the bag I grew to like the patch, gives the bag a bit of character I think.View attachment 139701
That shot nearly nicked your hip. Did you get him? :rolleyes: Dale

That is one of the nicest bags I have seen

A nice bag, I like the patch too. I especially like how you made the straps, instead of a strip of leather yours widen and spread at the point of attachment. The color and finish of the leather is quite nice, giving it a soft to the touch look. It goes nicely with your horn.

Very nice!! Great work! A couple questions if you don’t mind. What weight cowhide did you use. And do you glue in the canvas liner before sewing? Ive done lots of leather work…. Mainly holsters and knife sheaths but never made a shooting bag. I’m contemplating making one for myself. Thanks!!

Very nice!! Great work! A couple questions if you don’t mind. What weight cowhide did you use. And do you glue in the canvas liner before sewing? Ive done lots of leather work…. Mainly holsters and knife sheaths but never made a shooting bag. I’m contemplating making one for myself. Thanks!!
For this style bag I use 3 or 4 oz. leather for the bag and 5 or 6 oz for the strap. The liner is glued to the leather prior to stitching using Barge All Purpose Cement. It requires only a very thin layer of Barge to securely bond the canvas or mattress ticking to the leather.
The 3-4 oz makes for a light and supple bag, and with the liner added it is more than sturdy enough to hold up to extensive use.

Oh very nice. Last weekend I went to see the Lancaster rifle exhibit and there were a few period (1750-60) bags there that were similar in size, heft, and construction. I like the patch to! I've actually seen patches that looked like hearts, or stars.
KIMG1163.JPG
KIMG1150.JPG
KIMG1166.JPG

Back