• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A new Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The butt plug looks perfectly round, maybe turned on a lathe? Did you use a turned forming cone on a heated horn? What was the source of heat if you did heat form the end for the plug? What did you carve the spout or tip plug from? Nicely done. Kudos. When the time comes you'll know what you want to scrimshaw. Also looks like a stain used to age or antique the horn.

If, in fact, you turned this out over a weekend you should quit your "day job" and get into the business of horn making because you are highly talented.
Well thank you! Actually I quit my career job to work on my own as a Mountain Dulcimer maker (Luthier) two years ago and started Bob Gerard Dulcimers. It's been non-stop building since then; custom orders from about 30 States, Canada, Australia and Ireland! I love working wood, and horn is kinda cool too. I have a couple more raw horns coming in soon. I plan to make a few to hopefully sell.

The butt plug looks perfectly round, maybe turned on a lathe? Did you use a turned forming cone on a heated horn? What was the source of heat if you did heat form the end for the plug? What did you carve the spout or tip plug from? Nicely done. Kudos. When the time comes you'll know what you want to scrimshaw. Also looks like a stain used to age or antique the horn.
All that shaping work is freehand filing and rasping and scraping, no lathe. The spout is just part of the horn, all the same piece. The Cherry plug is cut slightly oversized in the shape of the horn and with slightly beveled sides. I heated the fat end of the horn with a heat gun and then tapped the plug down into the horn. Then I drilled holes and drove dowels in to secure it. It's a pretty basic job actually. Thanks for your interest!

I bought a cow horn and decided to carve it into a Powder Horn this weekend. I couldn't decide what to design on it, so I just left the body blank.
Thoroughly enjoyed making it, even when I messed-up trying to file some straighr border lines. Oh well, it's folk art!
What great craftsmanship you can do a horn for me any time well done

Great looking horn You do great work, Just 3 days ago I bought one and I want to learn how to scrimshaw it BUT I have never done anything like that or have I ever seen it done, could you give me some advice and how do I get started??? thanks in advance

Beautiful work! If you’re calling that folk art, it’s the highest quality folk art I’ve ever seen 👍
Thank you Johnnie. I guess some 'folk art' is better than others. I called it "folk art" because that is what most original horns were, just decorated utilitarian objects used by common folks, which is what this horn is.

Great looking horn You do great work, Just 3 days ago I bought one and I want to learn how to scrimshaw it BUT I have never done anything like that or have I ever seen it done, could you give me some advice and how do I get started??? thanks in advance
Hello and thanks for the kind compliment. I would think there are lots of tutorials available on-line about horn carving and scrimshaw. It would be really difficult for me to try give a written explanation of my methods in doing this simple horn project. I learned from reading and watching and trying stuff out for myself. I would simply suggest that as an avenue for you to learn as well. And don't rush it. Good luck and keep that art alive!

Nuthin' the matter with that !

Don't discount doing things the hard way.

I'm constantly changing methods/material during "builds" as I go along & get a bright idea that IDK will work or not.

My wife makes her best-tasting food when she cusses & makes mistakes during cooking/baking,

I bought a cow horn and decided to carve it into a Powder Horn this weekend. I couldn't decide what to design on it, so I just left the body blank.
Thoroughly enjoyed making it, even when I messed-up trying to file some straighr border lines. Oh well, it's folk art!
Beautiful, great job

Back