• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A new Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a cow horn and decided to carve it into a Powder Horn this weekend. I couldn't decide what to design on it, so I just left the body blank.
Thoroughly enjoyed making it, even when I messed-up trying to file some straighr border lines. Oh well, it's folk art!
Very nice work!

I love owls. We have a mating pair of great horned owls that roost in our mesquite tree in the back yard. Back in the day though, owls kind of got a bad rap since they are creatures of the night. I would never presume to tell an artist what he/she should produce, but I think, and the historians here can correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s not a lot of owls in the old days. I’d consider putting out good skrilla for an owl powder horn myself. Really impressed with the fit of that plug. Will have to check out your dulcimers.

I love owls. We have a mating pair of great horned owls that roost in our mesquite tree in the back yard. Back in the day though, owls kind of got a bad rap since they are creatures of the night. I would never presume to tell an artist what he/she should produce, but I think, and the historians here can correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s not a lot of owls in the old days. I’d consider putting out good skrilla for an owl powder horn myself. Really impressed with the fit of that plug. Will have to check out your dulcimers.
Thank you for the owl info. It would look really cool on a horn like this. I have two new, raw horns of the same size awaiting my attention. I am thinking about the owls now :)

Where is the best place to get raw cow horns? Many years ago a local veterinarian would call me when he had dehorned come cattle. He would leave them in a box on the AC unit out back for me to pick up. Haven’t done a horn in years.

Where is the best place to get raw cow horns? Many years ago a local veterinarian would call me when he had dehorned come cattle. He would leave them in a box on the AC unit out back for me to pick up. Haven’t done a horn in years.
I don't know the best place. I got mine from Crazy Crow and am happy with their quality.

Back