• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A new member's photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That gun doesn't look brand new. The artwork caught my eye; Quite unique. Could you tell us a little about "Big Ben" ? I build a few rifles now and then and always appreciate looking at pictures (or better yet the real thing) of fine craftmanship. Thanks,
Horse Dr.

Nice looking gun..I couldn't tell for sure but am quessing Lancaster school 1780+/-

I'm glad to see some interest in it. (We all like to brag a little
wink.gif
) I'll post some better pics in the next day or so.

It's dated 1980 and signed H. M. Britt. (I understand that he was from the Los Angeles area)

Ben has a 44" swamped barrel in .50 cal.

I had to spend a lot of time cleaning the bore because of a lot of neglect and rust. I'll post more about this and a lot of questions I have in the Flintlock forum.

Thanks again guys.

Nice looking gun, wish it was mine.
grin.gif

The wood work is mighty fine, again, wish it was mine.

Just kidding submarine vet, but I got one question, why do you call it BIG BEN?

Big Ben is engraved on an inlay in the wrist. Actually, I think the name should be female since it's something to be caressed.

As far as the wood, you may noticed hgow the finish is in the butt area. I've been thinking about how I could clean it or refinish it to show the grain better. I've been advised however, that the dark color "adds character".

I have also been thinking about adding some wire inlay. Some more thought is needed here too.

I use hand rubbed linseed oil on my dark walnut srocks and it brings out the natural beauty and grain of the wood.

Wire inlays is a matter of choise, no one can make that call but you.

Some things shouldn't be adjusted.

Wire inlay would be really tough to do properly without refinishing the stock. I agree with Musketman, some things should be appreciated for what they are. Even though not a priceless antique Big Ben is near 25 yrs old and deserves some respect. I think refinishing not a good choice. However your gun, your choice.
There are some wood restoring compounds out there that antique furniture dealers use. These might improve appearance without damage to the original finish. I've seen them on the web if I can just remember where!
For now i'd think on it a while and talk to some folks about options. You do have a fine looking gun just as is.
Horse Dr.

I would agree that if it ain't broke don't fix it many people take a new gun and go to great lengths to make it look like yours... I believe you have a very well made replica of a 18th century possibly Lancaster school pre-federal period gun, it may be a close copy of an original and wire inlay may not have been common to the time or builder that it represents. The patch box finial is familiar but I cannot place it, when I get my reference books back maybe I can narrow it down a bit as to the school and time period. I would give it a light "cleaning" with a damp cloth. it may have a linseed oil finsh on it now and this can be "touched up" by gentle rubbing a small amount with the finger tip till dry, I like to use a bit of turpintine with my finish, you can try it in an inconspicuous place to see how it does if you try it.

The bad thing about wire inlays is:

The channel for the wire has to be "undercut" to prevent the wire from comming out, almost like a triangle or an upside down "T".

If done wrong, the inlays will come out under recoil, or worse, the wood will break off at the undercut leaving an ugly gap in the stock.

If inlays is a must do, get the hammer; jaw and frizzen done, those can be replaced easier than the stock could.

Keep us posted...

On doing wire inlays,I have never had to undercut the channel,there is a much easier way.First off,straighten out the wire,then pull the wire through a slightly opened pair of sissors to bevel the bottom edge,then take a knife blade and score one lower side of the wire,this will make a slight barb on the side that will hook into the slot in the wood, after you tap the wire into place, dampen the inlay area this will cause the wood to swell. I have done wire work on a few rifles,and have never had any problems. I hope I haven't totaly confused you. If you want more info e-mail me for my ph.#

Big Ben is a very nice piece. Henry McDowell Britt started making guns in 1974. In 1980 he was in Fullerton California.

Cody

Latest posts

Back