• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A new build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coggan

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was going to build this from scratch, but never got around to it, the pistol at some time had a barrel change for some reason, I borrowed it from a friend, stripped it and drew up the plans.

Mortimer 1 copy.jpg

Mortimer 2 copy.jpg

Mortimer 3 copy.jpg

Hi Phil,
That will be a fabulous pistol. Do you know who the silversmith was? Did H. W. Mortimer do it himself on that pistol?

dave

Hi Dave,
I have no idea who the silversmith was, if he used one that is, I have no other info on the pistol, because of various items like the trigger, I would guess early 1700's, the gun went back to it's owner after the plans were done, and that was in the 70's! I remember it being a quality piece and probably quite expensive in it's day.

I think the W. Parker barrel is a lot later.

Phil

Hi Phil,
The lock is also from the late 18th century. I suspect the pistol was kind of a retro style made in the 1770s or early 1780s. I believe Mortimer was appointed gun maker to the king in 1783 and after that he signed his work indicating as such.

dave

Just remembered, in the 70's I built a minature (2 1/2" long) pistol similar to this, I gave it to a friend on his reirement, he passed many years ago, that pistol is probable in a draw somewhere and with people who don't appreciate what it is or how many hours went into the making :oops:

Phil

Hi Phil,
Once they are out of our hands, they may have many unexpected journeys. I hope at least a couple guns I've made are still around 200 years from now.

dave

I have always fancies building from scratch a Highly decorated Boutet flintlock pistol but time is the big problem!

Phil

Back