• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Mowrey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Should have stayed out of the pawn shop today.
A Mowrey, 15K sn, if it's been fired 2 times I'd be surprised. 50 cal, 1 inch barrel, half stock box lock.
IMG_20220330_144409795.jpg

Good find. I got a Mowrey from another forum member last year, 10k serial number. I can’t quite tell from your pic but I think it’s identical to mine. The bore was quite rusty and had a tight spot about 10 inches from the muzzle. I cleaned it and lapped it (my first attempt at lapping a bore) and it turned out great - I even got rid of the bad spot. It’s my favorite shooter right now. As I recall the target I’ve attached was at about 30 yards. But I did shoot from a bench.

Tell us all how well it shoots for you.

Attachments

• 5B90C808-C2CA-4605-9B5E-CBBAF5195660.jpeg
    5B90C808-C2CA-4605-9B5E-CBBAF5195660.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 91825C3E-2DA1-4C0F-87CF-FC31848FBC0F.jpeg
    91825C3E-2DA1-4C0F-87CF-FC31848FBC0F.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 91
Always admired those. Curious as to what kind of springs they have. Really long time ago, on my only trip to Friendship, someone had a display of Mowreys for sale in various configurations. Neat stuff.
The trigger spring is a drop in Y leaf spring. The sear spring is a long loop. So simple

Good find. I got a Mowrey from another forum member last year, 10k serial number. I can’t quite tell from your pic but I think it’s identical to mine. The bore was quite rusty and had a tight spot about 10 inches from the muzzle. I cleaned it and lapped it (my first attempt at lapping a bore) and it turned out great - I even got rid of the bad spot. It’s my favorite shooter right now. As I recall the target I’ve attached was at about 30 yards. But I did shoot from a bench.

Tell us all how well it shoots for you.
Looks the same. Looks like yours has a brass box. Mine is steel.

You apparently have the same issue as I do Damn Pawn Shops
Yeah. This particular shop has not produced any rifles in at least 5 years. Bought a few revolvers there. Same with one nearest me. Something kept tugging at me. Sure nuff walk in and hanging there was a 54 renegade.

Oh my, when will the streak end. Running out of room

Where do you guys find all of these cool pawn shops? I am in the Charlotte, NC area, and I never see anything muzzleloader-related in the ones around here, except maybe a few used plastic-stocked inlines. No traditional sidelocks or accoutrements.☹️

Where do you guys find all of these cool pawn shops? I am in the Charlotte, NC area, and I never see anything muzzleloader-related in the ones around here, except maybe a few used plastic-stocked inlines. No traditional sidelocks or accoutrements.☹
I always hit Hyatts gun shop in Charlotte when I’m down there. My daughter lives in Salisbury. Hyatts sometimes has some cool old muzzleloaders. The last two times I was there I bought an unmentionable WW2 Walther and a Colt 2nd gen Dragoon.

I always hit Hyatts gun shop in Charlotte when I’m down there. My daughter lives in Salisbury. Hyatts sometimes has some cool old muzzleloaders. The last two times I was there I bought an unmentionable WW2 Walther and a Colt 2nd gen Dragoon.
Thanks, I haven’t been there in years, and at the time it was to find some .300 Weatherby magnum (ie unmentionables) ammo for my father-in-law. I get their emails, but they are always about unmentionable items. I will check them out.

‘Poet

Thanks, I haven’t been there in years, and at the time it was to find some .300 Weatherby magnum (ie unmentionables) ammo for my father-in-law. I get their emails, but they are always about unmentionable items. I will check them out.

‘Poet
You have to look at what they have hanging up on the walls. What would appear to be decorations are actually for sale.

I own the original Allen & Thurber rifle that Bill Mowrey used to copy for his “Mowrey” rifle. i had dropped it off at his gun shop in Jacksboro, Texas In early 1964. It had (and still has) a broken sear spring so I left it to be replaced. Well, time went by and every time I checked it was not fixed. Finally, right before I graduated from TCU in Fort Worth I stopped by to pick it up. Bill then showed me what he had been up to. He had made perfect wooden patterns of all the action parts and intended to start manufacturing them. He was a retired tool and die maker so this was not new territory for him. Did a nice job. Though the original is all cast iron he chose to use brass since it’s much easier to cast. He changed the forend—the original is a skinny iron casting. And he changed the buttplate—the original is a strange schutzen style cast from iron. Other than that it’s a pretty darn good copy. I told him he owed me a new rifle as royalty…..I’m still waiting…..

He made his own barrels in the shop, drilling and hand rifling them right there. Walnut was from flooded trees he salvaged from Lake Bridgeport and cut himself. He made everything himself. Not sure where he had the brass castings made but think it may have been in nearby Wichita Falls.

God rest his soul….

Joe

Last edited:
Wow, Joe that's a great story! I'm so glad to know the origins of my Mowery. I had one of his "bicentennial" models for a short time about three years ago, but it had been abused so I got rid of it. I was very happy to find another last fall, and like I said, it's become my favorite shooter. For now. :)

Search Allen & Thurber on the internet and you’ll see quite a bit. They made a lot of guns, primarily pepperboxes and you’ll see a direct linkage from those pistols to the rifle. He also made percussion shotguns. The partnership was dissolved and in 1857 until 1864 continued production as Allen & Wheelock.

Here’s some photos of the original. The barrel is 34 1/2” and tapers slightly from 1” at the breech to .950 at muzzle. Caliber is around .45. Notice the square headed nail someone used to strengthen the main spring. Also note there is no half cock On the sear. In the late 50’s I shot an awful lot of rabbits and coyotes with this gun. First Muzzleloading rifle I owned.

The Allen was a “factory” built gun and its design required very little skilled workmanship. Workers could be assigned a specific task and repeat it time and again without much instruction. It was low priced but effective. And strong. Not much to go wrong with it. Sheer genius!

The bolt through the stock from the butt to the action kept the stock solidly secured and also strengthened the sock. This is the earliest iteration of the through bolt in guns I am aware of.
6B46693E-3077-41FA-B0C3-71CA19E02799.jpeg

09F7FB0C-D19B-45F2-8D75-F5E1FBBB86B4.jpeg
FA8AF886-7E5A-4BB3-8F23-63CAB9640541.jpeg
1AF2CE4B-51FD-40E0-8E8D-5480A27A06A3.jpeg
5A992358-7822-459F-A6F5-A0B84C4E05F8.jpeg

Last edited:
I always thought the brass ones were the best looking but the rifles all have wonderful architecture.

Where do you guys find all of these cool pawn shops? I am in the Charlotte, NC area, and I never see anything muzzleloader-related in the ones around here, except maybe a few used plastic-stocked inlines. No traditional sidelocks or accoutrements.☹
My problem is all of a sudden I get this inkling to go look and there it is. Never in the 5 or so years I've been going to this pawn shops near me have they ever had a rifle. This day I was out n about and this itch came on me to go. I've bought a few revolvers there but never saw a rifle. Don't think they researched it considering what I got it for. Just hoped it had Olney TX on it because that's where they started. Had it had that it would be worth around 1200, I'll settle for the 7-8 I've been told. The overall condition is IMO, 99%. Bore is like new. Only thing I had to do was pin the should stock to the reciever so it wouldn't twist and clean up the hammer some.

Back