A most reliable printed source about the American frontier.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Darto

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Beadles Dime Novels!
I doubt their published stories were exaggerated... just professional journalism for city news stands, and railroad stations. :ghostly:

'Number 1' Malaeska the Indian Wife, early edition 1860. I think the later edition was reprented a couple years later after initial sales were skyrocketing.

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There is a large volume of popular interviews from people living post 1800 and their surviving relatives. I've collected about 15 priceless books containing this nearly lost information from our early American history. It's out there , and becoming scarce as time proceeds. These early people were a different breed, wanting freedom , and willing to risk life and limb to get it.............oldwood

Darto

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Apparently Beadles also published One Penny novels in England. One of the more entertaining I found on Google were not actually by Beadle.
There was someone in a dark cloak, claw gloves, and devil mask jumping around in London and the Midlands. Nobody was sure what he was up to. Magazines were published to take advantage of the rumors and newspaper reports.

Wikipedia: By the early 1900s he was being represented as a costumed, altruistic avenger of wrongs and protector of the innocent, effectively becoming a precursor to pulp fiction and then comice book superheroes.