• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A modest Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artificer , it is for a bayonet. I do not have the bayonet for this rifle. I have had a look at quite a few pictures of paintings from the period that show Jaegers with the bayonet's on their belt's and rifles. May have came in handy when the shot was spent and the boar was still on his feet! I have not been fortunate enough to find writings that mention the hunting bayonet. RW

Thanks DD1 , the old Jaeger is on the modest side . No nonsense , nothing fancy .I like it for that reason. PS I like the fancy ones too. Just not for a Hunters / Jaegers rifle that I would use .,,,,DT

GOOD PLAN.

When I get my "really Plain Jane" LH Southern mountain rifle built, it will be "plain iron" mounted in .58 caliber for PRB & conicals & A KILLER on hogs.
(I'm tempted to have it done in .62 for "extra killing power".)

yours, satx

I think so, especially in FLINT.
(I already have a caplock "replica of nothing", "sort of a short ZOUAVE", that is GREAT for WT/hogs. = DEADLY out of a tree-stand to 100M plus, using my 500grain "homebrew" Minie Balls.)

yours, satx

Dusty Texian said:
Artificer , it is for a bayonet. I do not have the bayonet for this rifle. I have had a look at quite a few pictures of paintings from the period that show Jaegers with the bayonet's on their belt's and rifles. May have came in handy when the shot was spent and the boar was still on his feet! I have not been fortunate enough to find writings that mention the hunting bayonet. RW

I bet it would come in handy for any wounded boar.

NICE hunting rifle and I bet it is very handy and fast.

Gus

Long ago when I was stationed in Miesau, BRD, I visited the Museum of the Landesjadtverband in Sarrbrucken. - According to the archived information, there were many cases in "the olden days" when a Jaeger was forced defend himself from a bear (YES, there were once bears in what is now Germany.) or wild boar with a bayonet or hunting sword.
(The museum's collection has numerous blades that date from the 17-20th Centuries.)

ADDENDA: Long ago it was also commonplace to hunt both bears & wild boar with a spear.
(I heard that a few Jaegers are still hunting boar with a spear. = NOT ME, as I'm NOT that brave or possibly "NUTS"!)

yours, satx

hanshi , It is a great little rifle as a caplock, I would like to have one just like it in flint. Cant have to many ,,,DT

satx78247 Thank You for passing along that information. From what I understand the Hunting Sword was commonly used in Eaurope . ,,DT

Dusty Texian said:
hanshi , It is a great little rifle as a caplock, I would like to have one just like it in flint. Cant have to many ,,,DT

Brother, you are right on!

Based on the number of surviving blades, the hunting sword must have once been very common, especially in the wheellock & flintlock era.
(According to the museum's exhibits, the hunting sword also went to the Franco-Prussian War & WWI as personal weapons too. During the Seige of the Foreign Legations at Beijing, at least one German officer used his ancestor's hunting sword "to good effect" against the attacking Boxers.)

yours, satx

26" swamped oct. barrel caplock .56 cal. hunting rifle

Don't forget though that Germany wasn't Germany until unification in January of 1871. Until that time the different principalities had various methods of fielding soldiers, and often "hunters" were subject to militia-like military service. The bayonet may have been so the original owner could provide proper military service when called.

LD

TRUE.

In point of fact, some of the smaller "Germanic city states" of that era REQUIRED persons who were jaegers to be available for national defense service. = ZWIEBRUCKEN for just one such Barony.

Question: Do you happen to know what the difference in a hunting sword & a hunting cutlass was??

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back