• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A modest Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loyalist Dave, Thank you for the info. I agree ,the Jaegers of old were formed into Jaeger Troops and from what I have read were used in recon and for quick strikes, knowing the country and how to get around (So to Speak) they were very effective. I have another Jaeger that was used in Norway for just such service.,,,DT Ron Wehmeyer

satx78247 I do enjoy the History. These men at the ready , like our minute-men were Jaeger troops. Some of the German Immigrants , such as my ancestors brought along with them Arms from the old countrty. I think some of them along with their Jaeger rifles were pressed into service here , during our Own Civil War. When I purchased this Goellner A. Suhl Jaeger the previous owner sent along with it , a Magazine article from the NRA Rifleman , and some other information about Jaeger style rifles used in this country that were fitted with what is called a Bowie Bayonet. Here is a picture of a very nice Back action target rifle that was fitted with just such a Bowie Bayonet , including target sights . This rifle was documented as being used during the American Civil war. It is noted that the Bowie Bayonet was considerably more valuable than the cased rifle. WOW! Sorry for the long post , and hope I am not breaking the forum rules. ,,DT Ron Wehmeyer

Exactly so. - I was stationed in BRD years ago, finally got my Jadtsheim & became very interested in Jaegerein, Cape-Guns & the history for Germanic hunting traditions.

NIFTY cased rifle/bayonet, too. - That coat a lot of Marks, I'm sure.

Fwiw, I came home with little $$ but lots of German firearms/attire/gear.

yours, satx

I apologize for such a late reply on your Jaeger my friend. Been away from the key board for the last week. Alot of range time during the days followed by thorough cleaning in the PM's.

Your rifle is a beauty! Sure is a splendid looking muzzleloader.

I hope you have many satisfying days with that rifle.

Thanks for sharing your pics of her and for the detailed information that you've provided as well!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

satx78247 that must have been somthing to see the sights of Germany. We have a common interest for sure. Today I leave out for a 7 day deer scouting trip . The old Jaeger will be along ,,,, DT .

Hello Cowboy, No apology needed. Sounds like you had a great wk. Glad you like the .56 Jaeger. I leave later this morning for a wk. long trip to locate deer scout. I will bring along the .56 and shoot it every day in the field . At six pound's and a leather sling it is a handy little rifle. See you in a Wk. ,,,DT Ron Wehmeyer

Apologies for the delayed reply satx78247, was in Mason Co. the past wk. No internet! But we do have indoor plumbing and running water! A BBQ size would have had somthing to worry about , but not the two bruisers that I saw at the stock tank! Got to see Lots of velvet Bucks though!!!! The old .56 did end a Skunks career ,,,DT Ron Wehmeyer.

GOOD PLAN.

When I get my "really Plain Jane" LH Southern mountain rifle built, it will be "plain iron" mounted in .58 caliber for PRB & conicals & A KILLER on hogs.
(I'm tempted to have it done in .62 for "extra killing power".)

yours, satx
SATX, Don't bother going to .62 cal., a friend of mine (ex Navy Seabee) had me help him put together his first percussion plains rifle from scratch, a .58 caliber, 1" ATF that he has subsequently nailed at least 5 full bodied deer with from different angles/ranges and all were dead right there with no ball recovery. I believe the caliber is sufficient for hogs and maybe has a little more penetration, all else being equal, which you need in a boar gun.

ARCHAIC OFF THE WALL STUFF-For that same reason I built a .56 Numrich drop-in barrel for my Hawken, and christened it the 'Leman .56' due to the mixture of brass, steel, stainless clean-out, etc. And a sweet balancing nail-driver it turned out to be. I really like .56 caliber 'stompers'. BTW- Taylor Knock-down for the 30-06= 16, for the .56 Leman= 30. I believe the 'Taylor Knockdown' was velocity x diameter x wt (grains) divided by 7000. Grenadier probably knows this better than me, but it said my 270g roundball at 1500fps had more 'bash' than my .30-06. 150g at 2800fps Tinhorn

Wow have not been on in quite some time and was surprised to see this old thread . Maybe it's the old Jaeger's way of saying , let's go shooting . Good day to everyone .

Found the book. I hesitate to show more than the cover without the writers permission. Excellent book worth having in your library. If I remember it was a limited run.

Attachments

• american turners (4).JPG
    american turners (4).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 126
Found the book. I hesitate to show more than the cover without the writers permission. Excellent book worth having in your library. If I remember it was a limited run.
Thank's for the lead on the book Josephg it look's like an interesting read . ,,,DT

If you want to use some quotes or photos out of a book, you can do that if you include the full book title, the authors name, the copyright owners name and date and (usually) the publishers name and address (if it is written in the first few pages of the book).

It's also nice if the pages that the quotes or photos are on are included.

For example, I might write:

In the book titled, "Rifles and Blades of the German-American Militia and the Civil War", by Thomas B. Rentschler , copyright 2002 it says on page xx,
"The final outcome.........." (or whatever you want to quote or show).

Doing this is a protected right for people who want to cite brief quotes or information from published books or data.

If you want to use some quotes or photos out of a book, you can do that if you include the full book title, the authors name, the copyright owners name and date and (usually) the publishers name and address (if it is written in the first few pages of the book).

It's also nice if the pages that the quotes or photos are on are included.

For example, I might write:

In the book titled, "Rifles and Blades of the German-American Militia and the Civil War", by Thomas B. Rentschler , copyright 2002 it says on page xx,
"The final outcome.........." (or whatever you want to quote or show).

Doing this is a protected right for people who want to cite brief quotes or information from published books or data.

Thank you Zonie.

Back