• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A mini cradle for checkering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, 40 or so years ago, using a blank stock, I put together a double barrel 12 gauge flintlock shotgun. I never checkered a stock before, but did that one. Not knowing much, I asked a fellow muzzleloader for some tips. He said, "ya got to have a cradle, so the work moves, not the checker tool"! Well, being the ignorant one, that made sense, so I made one and got the job done. There is no way you can checker without rotating the stock in order to keep the V cutter perpendicular to the curve of the stock. Anyway, here I am today building my first underhammer. (Naw, she ain't a flintlock!) The underhammer is a half stock with of course the receiver between the buttstock and forestock. I didn't want to put the gun together to use a full gun cradle, so I came up with two shorty cradles. (forestock cradle is similar)
The large dowel on the right has a 1/4" dia. washer head wood screw on the end against the plywood to bind for turn resistance. I just screw the base to the workbench and turn on a directed light.
Larry
IMG_3457.jpeg

Nice idea, Larry. Are the end rods made specific for that buttstock? Can you adjust for length?

Nice idea, Larry. Are the end rods made specific for that buttstock? Can you adjust for length?
The dowels are specific for this stock. I would assume that in every buttstock the front and rear would not always be the same. In this case it so happens that the front has a 1/2" threaded hole for the 7" long bolt that connects to the receiver. The rear is larger so an extended socket can tighten the bolt. It is really a custom jig just for this application.
Thanks for asking
Larry

Back