• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A lot of bear around this year.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen more bear this year then I have in probably the last ten years, I need to get some round balls ordered for my smooth bore soon.
I've seen a few bear this week during the day and a few at night driving to. Me and a buddy make a small hunting blind on his small property with a food plot, today he was back there discounting out and walked up on a bear. Nothing big but nice there hanging around

I've never shot a bear before, never even seen many in the woods even until the last few years.

I'd like to try and render the fat off it if I get one, anyone have a good reference on the proper way to do that or other uses for a bear.

The one my buddy took the picture of looks to be about 150 pounds to me but I can't size a bear like a deer. This Saturday are early bear season starts in the southern zone in New York, so hope I can get one.

received_693219401597885.jpeg

I have 4-5 that have been bothering the property since spring.

Couldn't get in my garbage as it's a 55-gal drum with re-sealable top, they rolled it around a bit though.

Thhey raided my berries this summer then started in on the orchard. One is a youngster, and the biggest maybe 500 lbs. I have pictures but on my other computer.

I have the 50 ready with a 370-gr conical, season here has opened.

To render down bear fat, cleanly remove the fat from the hide and meat. Clean it to try and ensure no meat on it (there will be a little bit, but try very hard to minimize). Place into a large pot and apply a low heat, which will slowly liquify the fat. Stir very often to prevent burning. Prepare jars as you would for canning, and keep them hot. Scrape off anything that floats to the top of the liquified fat. Once all the fat is a hot liquid, ladle into the hot jars and seal them up. Lids will “pop” when they cool down, just like canning. Simple as that.
Cook and eat the bear meat as you would pork. Must be cooked through to prevent trichinosis.
A lot of europeans remove the bone from the male part and make a cocktail stir stick from it.
Walk

To render down bear fat, cleanly remove the fat from the hide and meat. Clean it to try and ensure no meat on it (there will be a little bit, but try very hard to minimize). Place into a large pot and apply a low heat, which will slowly liquify the fat. Stir very often to prevent burning. Prepare jars as you would for canning, and keep them hot. Scrape off anything that floats to the top of the liquified fat. Once all the fat is a hot liquid, ladle into the hot jars and seal them up. Lids will “pop” when they cool down, just like canning. Simple as that.
Cook and eat the bear meat as you would pork. Must be cooked through to prevent trichinosis.
A lot of europeans remove the bone from the male part and make a cocktail stir stick from it.
Walk
Thanks for the info, so it's best to pour off the fat as soon as it's melted, I would think the longer it cooks the darker it gets.

I've been told that if you render it, take the clean stuff and put it back on the heat after scooping off the manure, then do it again and again that you'll end up with some very clear, very clean bear oil. I have some bear oil from the man who advised me of this and it's the very best gun oil that there is, period. I'm probably purchasing a bear tag this year for the first time since I was a young man and if I get one, I'll definitely try to make some bear "grease" and some bear oil.

I've been told that if you render it, take the clean stuff and put it back on the heat after scooping off the manure, then do it again and again that you'll end up with some very clear, very clean bear oil. I have some bear oil from the man who advised me of this and it's the very best gun oil that there is, period. I'm probably purchasing a bear tag this year for the first time since I was a young man and if I get one, I'll definitely try to make some bear "grease" and some bear oil.
Ok kinda like making lead cleaner lol. I would think a filter would help to. I've seen near grease all kinds of colors but like to get the nice white stuff. I'm sure there's a bunch of uses for the stuff.

First off, you gotta kill a bear. After that the rest is darn easy in comparison.

Maine has more bears (black) than any other state outside Alaska. I even saw plenty in Va and WV.
Ya I do, just one to try the meat and if I like it then it's just more good meat I don't have to buy. I came very close a few years ago from shooting one. I had just shot a big doe on opening day rifle, I'm hunting a friends farm. His son is down the hill from me out of sight, I walk up to my deer and look down the hill and see a big bear. I had the scope on it and I was watching it the kid was going to shoot.

Well I waited for a minute or two and just as I put my finger on the trigger his son shoots, then 2 more times. We got a good foot of snow the day before that bear made it over a 1/4 mile. It was just over 500lb dressed with out the the head and paws on it.

Ya'all want to see some bears come to Haines, Alaska this year! The cops have shot 17 so far in town, population 1500 or so souls. There are no fish in the river and the berry crop is poor so the bears are hungry and into looting. These are brown/grizzly bears. I've got so many pictures of them from my house , 25 miles out of town, that I've become too chicken to hunt moose with a muzzleloader this year. I'll be packing around one of those unmentionables. This photo was taken of a bear in our cranberry patch 20 yds from the house.
IMG_1899.jpg

Maybe so.....two fireman loaded it up in a pickup truck and took it. It had to be one massive bruise. :doh:

I didn't kill the bear. I saw it in time, began slowing down, so only going about 10 to 20 MPH when I hit it. I pulled off. A lady, in a Chevy Traverse behind me, going much, much faster and not trying to stop at all, hit the same bear, totaled her car, knocked herself out, killed the bear, and didn't stop for well over 100 yards. I didn't pace it off, but it was a long walk to her vehicle. I called authorities. An hour later, she had no memory of the accident but refused to go to the hospital.

One of 4 responding deputies put an AR 15 round (I assume 5.56 but one never knows with an AR) into the bear for good measure, actually asked me if he should!

I continued to drive my car that way for 3 months until I could get into the shop. All I paid was $150.00, the difference on an OEM hood and to get my fog lights fixed.

*Fun fact. Even though I stood on my brakes for several seconds, the lady never saw my brake lights. Had I been able to stop and avoid the bear, she would have hit me and either crippled or killed me. Within 3 seconds of pulling off, she hit the same bear.

Even though I stood on my brakes for several seconds, the lady never saw my brake lights.

She was probably texting. 👎

I know a couple who hit a big bear in their little Nissan. It put both of them in the hospital and totaled the car. The bear ran off and had to be tracked down with dogs by the game dept. They treed it and shot it but found out it wasn't hurt bad after a necropsy.

Back