• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A long shot! Busted main spring!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So there I went to prise the Pedersoli faux trade gun from the cabinet last night for a rabbit hunt today when as I went to cock the cock....nothing! Broken spring!!
So I next removed the lock for inspection.
On inspection the main spring was now in two pieces but after a study I thought about welding it.
20211210_070639.jpg

20211210_072718.jpg

Sure enough the weld softened the spring.
So I spread it on the soft weld and fitted some shim.
So far, with some fiddle it is working again. For how long who knows. I best be looking for a new one me thinks!

In hindsight I should of suspended the tacked together spring in water to limit the heat travel.
On a positive, I slavoured the lock internals in beeswax and olive oil years ago and nothing has rotted.
Anyway, a good field test is required so watch this space.

I broke a frizzen spring on my Pedersoli Charleville when I cleaned the lock with a spray degreaser , then opened the frizzen , the freezing cold spray had frozen the spring and it snapped when it went under tension , I just replaced the part , and I still have the can of spray 25 years later because I never used it again and I am too cheap to throw it out .

Brit the rabbits put a whammy curse on ya, wait on a full moon when the heather blooms, paint yer arse blue and go out side dance around in circles nekkid while chanting them rascally rabbits song. Then order a new main spring. Good luck.
I'd like to do that curse or no curse!

Brit the rabbits put a whammy curse on ya, wait on a full moon when the heather blooms, paint yer arse blue and go out side dance around in circles nekkid while chanting them rascally rabbits song. Then order a new main spring. Good luck.
When I do that the rabbits die laughing then all I have to do is pick them up.

So there I went to prise the Pedersoli faux trade gun from the cabinet last night for a rabbit hunt today when as I went to cock the cock....nothing! Broken spring!!
On inspection the main spring was now in two pieces but after a study I thought about welding it.View attachment 108775

View attachment 108778
So far, with some fiddle it is working again. For how long who knows. I best be looking for a new one me thinks!
View attachment 108779
In hindsight I should of suspended the tacked together spring in water to limit the heat travel.
On a positive, I slavoured the lock internals in beeswax and olive oil years ago and nothing has rotted.

On inspection the main spring was now in two pieces but after a study I thought about welding it.View attachment 108775

View attachment 108778
View attachment 108779
Hi Brit, I'm fortunate that I have a small Plasma arc welder and can fill joint with a sliver of spring steel and local heat with no scaling (argon shrowd). Have welded umpteen both main & feather for me and others.I always tell 'em it's glued with heat. Not had a failure YET!! OLD DOG..

Nice try Brit, but welding spring steel and retaining the integrity of the steel
structural integrity ain't easy. Better buy another or machine a duplicate.
There are few welders who can pull that off.
Yes, I should of prevented the heat transfer better.
I have done it before and made new springs. It is an art and satisfying.
It will be a good test when I get a chance.
I need to get an email off soon!

Hi Brit, I'm fortunate that I have a small Plasma arc welder and can fill joint with a sliver of spring steel and local heat with no scaling (argon shrowd). Have welded umpteen both main & feather for me and others.I always tell 'em it's glued with heat. Not had a failure YET!! OLD DOG..
Yes sir. Tig welding is very useful. Its my job.
IMG-20210521-WA0003.jpg

Back