• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little time with the Crocket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg B.

36 Cl.
Reaction score
A few years ago I built a Crocket from a kit. It was my first build and I’ve shot it a lot since then. I haven’t hunted with it yet, though. We live on acreage here in Arkansas and I’m about 30 minutes from the Ozark National Forest. I’ve always used our 9 month squirrel season as a reason to get out, so this year I think I’ll chase em with black powder. Thinking of getting a Kibler kit, but for now the Crocket will do just fine.

I’ve come to realize that my Crocket prefers tighter combos. I’ve been shooting .315 balls with .018 ticking (dry patch method) with good results. As I can’t find a mold for these balls I decided to try a few .319 balls to see how they worked before getting a mold. Im plenty satisfied with both after today’s brief outing.

Only had a short time before rain sat in so I only got to fire two of each. Will shoot more tomorrow if weather permits. The .319 balls still loaded well with the same ticking strips and the small group (2) proved enough potential that I can feel good about ordering a mold. Here are the results: (20 grains Swiss at 25 yards, rested on a fence).

first group .315, second group .319. 2 shots each due to rain.

Attachments

• 8D78A6C5-D983-4BC6-AE69-2F1130CC6B49.jpeg
    8D78A6C5-D983-4BC6-AE69-2F1130CC6B49.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 27A4F384-FA50-452A-AA34-F41BE6CE3375.jpeg
    27A4F384-FA50-452A-AA34-F41BE6CE3375.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 34
I get groups like that (from a rest, like you) with 20 grains Schuetzen at 25 yds, a .310" Hornady (or other) ball, and .015" pillow ticking. These Crocketts are GREAT, although I have a lot to say about the really crappy inletting and interior stock work on the fully factory-assembled one I bought. I regretted not getting a kit. I think the Crocketts will shoot a lot of ball/patch/lube/charge combinations astonishingly well. Just pick your favorite. 👍

I don’t own a Crockett rifle. Have you thought about trying some 00 buckshot ? That might be close enough for your rifle.:dunno:

Haven’t tried the buckshot just yet. I have about 500 of the .315 hornady balls and they’ve shot pretty well for me. The .319 was just an experiment. If they hadn’t shot well I would have tried some .311’s as I’d like to get a Lee mold. I have lots of soft lead as I pour a lot of crappie jigs. I did try some hornady .310’s and they didn’t group quite as well for me. That’s why I went .319 instead for this test.

I did try some hornady .310’s and they didn’t group quite as well for me. That’s why I went .319 instead for this test.
My impression from the beginning was that my barrel was pretty "tight". I would guess there is some variation.

I don’t own a Crockett rifle. Have you thought about trying some 00 buckshot ? That might be close enough for your rifle.:dunno:
I'm planning on trying Ballistic Products #1 1/2 super buckshot (0.310") when I run out of my current supply of the Hornady 0.310". 00 is way too big for my barrel.

The .319 balls were definitely tight, especially with the .018 pillow ticking. That said, they were soft enough that they didn’t give me too much grief.
I don’t go through a lot of balls. Maybe 20 in a shooting session. My supply will last a long time. I suspect 100 will get me through a full year of squirrel hunting. Almost not worth casting to be honest. I just like rolling my own and having the ability to cast them if I can’t buy them.

The .319 balls were definitely tight, especially with the .018 pillow ticking. That said, they were soft enough that they didn’t give me too much grief.
I don’t go through a lot of balls. Maybe 20 in a shooting session. My supply will last a long time. I suspect 100 will get me through a full year of squirrel hunting. Almost not worth casting to be honest. I just like rolling my own and having the ability to cast them if I can’t buy them.
I primarily target shoot. Can easily go through 50 in a sitting. :rolleyes: I have it now so that it produces very close groups but loading effort is slight and practically no fouling build-up (using combo of Simple Green and olive oil as lube). I also put a fiber optic dot on the front sight. While target shooting is my main activity, vermin control will get some serious action as well. And the vermin are squirrels.

I do plan to rework a few things, or at least try to, before doing much hunting. While the dry patch method helped me develop a few loads that shoot well (at least to 35 yards or so with this rifle), I would like to experiment a bit with various lubes again. I run a wet patch between every shot and have to do so with this combo. I’ll be playing with my combos a bit more in the future and will keep that concoction in mind. I’ve got some TOW mink oil that does well with a .54 I own, but I couldn’t keep it consistent with this Crockett. Now that I’ve settled into a new ball size I may try it again and may even try some thinner patches as well. I’m learning that this is at least half of the fun.

Most people who have commented on the Crockett appear to indicate that using a particularly tight ball/patch combination doesn't improve accuracy over a simply "snug" combination that allows easier loading. In terms of lube, I tried a lot of things, but the secret seemed to be the Simple Green because it appears to actively break up the fouling. I'm sure some other soap/detergent would do as well (maybe Dawn). The Simple Green would work well by itself, but I found that during shooting sessions the pre-lubed patches would dry out if left in the air. So I added the olive oil to retard that and it seems to work well. I do not use a short starter rod, and the long rod doesn't require significant effort. For patches I'm using pillow ticking that I measure at the store to be 0.015"-ish, and cut into 3/4" strips and then squares with a rotary cutter (mostly just by eye). Then I lube them with the Simple Green/oil mix, squeeze out excess, and keep in a small pill container.

But every rifle seems to be a bit different to at least some small degree, and I may end up changing something in the future. I'm going to try Jojoba bean oil with the Simple Green because ... well ... just because it's there. 😂 The gun is highly accurate at 25 and 50 yds, and I need to work with it at 100 yds. I tried it briefly once and was astonished, but I need to see how it groups there and how to handle the wind at that distance. I've already seen some significant wind effects at 50 yds with these little .32 cal balls.

I like TOW Mink Oil and also use Hoppes BP Lube and Cleaner at the range. I try and Keep my load accurate out to about 35 yards and prefer to be able to load without a short starter since I mostly Squirrel hunt with 32s. I tried several different sized ball in my guns but have always had luck with a swaged or cast .315 and .010 or .015 patches. Post some pics when you get after the Squirrels.

A few years ago I built a Crocket from a kit. It was my first build and I’ve shot it a lot since then. I haven’t hunted with it yet, though. We live on acreage here in Arkansas and I’m about 30 minutes from the Ozark National Forest. I’ve always used our 9 month squirrel season as a reason to get out, so this year I think I’ll chase em with black powder. Thinking of getting a Kibler kit, but for now the Crocket will do just fine.

I’ve come to realize that my Crocket prefers tighter combos. I’ve been shooting .315 balls with .018 ticking (dry patch method) with good results. As I can’t find a mold for these balls I decided to try a few .319 balls to see how they worked before getting a mold. Im plenty satisfied with both after today’s brief outing.

Only had a short time before rain sat in so I only got to fire two of each. Will shoot more tomorrow if weather permits. The .319 balls still loaded well with the same ticking strips and the small group (2) proved enough potential that I can feel good about ordering a mold. Here are the results: (20 grains Swiss at 25 yards, rested on a fence).

first group .315, second group .319. 2 shots each due to rain.

I have a Crockett 32 I plan to take into the the Ouachita national forest this year. May make it a multi-night squirrel camp trek if I can get my buddies to join me. I always look forward to this time of year….i don’t see as many squirrel hunters in the woods as I did growing up.

Squirrel hunting definitely isn't as popular as it was years ago; I find that odd. I hunted squirrels with my Crockett using 30 grains of 3F and the damage to the critter was no worse than with a .22LR. If memory serves me I also tried 20 grains and with the same accuracy; but cannot recall the ball although I believe it was likely .310" or a bit larger. I now use a Lee .311"ball & a .024" canvas patch over 20 grains of Swiss 3F.

I have great respect for the Crockett and it's capabilities. In the right hands it is capable of sub 1" 5-shot groups at 50 yards at least. I sadly no longer have my Crockett sidekick. I have a flintlock SMR that is very accurate but no more so than was the Crockett.

Which Pedersoli?
I have 2 Perdersoli percussion Blue Ridge Rifles in .32 calibre & .50 calibre…got the .32 calibre out of the Bargain Cave in Sydney NB, back in the early 90’s.

The .32 is rocking accurate…just amazing.

As for my .50 calibre Blue Ridge…I’d rather shoot my Pedersoli .50 calibre Alamo…lights out, more accurate.

Back