• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Little Slow Here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, just to make sure people know we haven't lost the ability to communicate here in the "Great White North".

Walkingeagle, very pleased to meet you at the Ramrodders shoot. Hope you found it worth the drive. I'm gonna have to work harder at it next year, particularly making sure I'm there for the first day.

Being dead last to the blanket does get a guy noticed. Especially for the score.

Howdy Yonderin,
Was great meeting you as well. Y’all have a great little gatherin there and we had a wonderful time! We’ll be back next year, perhaps dressed a little better too...
I know how ya feel, that simple little mountain man walk on the last morning beat me up. I did good on the shooting side with 11 beads remaining, set the trap and sunk the hawk, even got the fire inside on a minute, but could not stick that knife to save my life. Cost me every bead and a “did not finish”. My better half however... well now... she completed it all with 10 beads left! Between her and Lynn it really makes a guy wanna shoot like a girl!!
See ya next year for sure and if you get the chance our next event will be at Sherwood Park Sept 7/8. I expect Old Ugly will also be attending that one.
Walk

Howdy Yonderin,
Was great meeting you as well. Y’all have a great little gatherin there and we had a wonderful time! We’ll be back next year, perhaps dressed a little better too...
I know how ya feel, that simple little mountain man walk on the last morning beat me up. I did good on the shooting side with 11 beads remaining, set the trap and sunk the hawk, even got the fire inside on a minute, but could not stick that knife to save my life. Cost me every bead and a “did not finish”. My better half however... well now... she completed it all with 10 beads left! Between her and Lynn it really makes a guy wanna shoot like a girl!!
See ya next year for sure and if you get the chance our next event will be at Sherwood Park Sept 7/8. I expect Old Ugly will also be attending that one.
Walk

Other than maybe sticking hawk and especially knife, should have all been doable even if we got little warning of what was up.

Other than maybe sticking hawk and especially knife, should have all been doable even if we got little warning of what was up.
Agreed sir. How did you make out? Sorry we couldn’t stick around, long travel day and a deadline to return by.
Btw, throwing knife, or even hawk for that matter, I believe is mostly a fictional act. Nobody who is ever trained in hand combat throws away a weapon! I highly doubt it was actually done much.
From my time on the forum, I know there are quite a few Canadians, but I suspect most are like I was for the first few years, just read and enjoy. Hopefully at least a few come forward, preferably with fresh coffee. I’m plumb out!!
Walk

As a Mountain Man, I'd make a pretty good Pilgrim. :p I will have to survive on cold, raw mole and hopefully can find a good market for their fur. But wasn't the main goal of the old guys to make money off fur and not shoot up the neighborhood or lie around the fire telling tall tales?
Only hit one target before issues with my flintlock caused me to run out of time there. Am at a loss as to what the problem was. Did not dry-ball, vent was clear and even double primed. Getting flash in the pans but no more BOOM. Had it been on the first shot it would have been easy to accept I had a powder problem but beginning on third one is a head scratcher. I am going to go to a larger vent to minimize that possible cause in the future. Luckily both my guns are TC so I could screw in a nipple and use my CO2 device to clear it in the end. I don't like pulling ball after I've pulled the trigger.
I imagine anybody who threw their knife and or hawk in combat was just trying to lighten their load so they could run away faster.

Just a very poor showing for me all round but I set myself up for it. Lots of offers to borrow guns when I showed up on Sun but hate to do that. So only 4 chances at winning beads.

I lurked around here for a while before I decided to draw attention to myself and as you can see from the number of my posts, don't think I have an awful lot to offer others yet other than "Don't do it this way".

Unfortunately work schedule doesn't allow me to make your shoot (or many others). Curse of the working man.

I lurked for a while before joining, then seldom posted even after for a few years. Eventually I realized I did have some things to offer, as well a lot of questions to ask. Even now as I am just starting to dabble in the persona side of things, there is more to learn than I ever have a hope of absorbing.
Your gathering was our first actual event. We did attend the last day of a local event here this spring, and had so much fun that it prompted us to head your way. There are a few others around that I wish we could attend, however other plans have already been made.
Good luck with your flinter. Since drilling the liner to 1/16” on my GPR my lock has never failed to fire, as long as it sparks. I just don’t shoot it much as I don’t enjoy shooting it. I have done a flint to cap conversion on it, and am able to switch back in minutes if so desired.
Walk

Hi Baxter,
Yonderin and I was just jawin about an event which was held in Pincher Creek, Alberta (Canada) over the long weekend in July. It was our (myself and better half) first full event, and was a wonderful experience. We had no idea what to expect as we hooked up the “tin teepee” and started the 6 hour drive. Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendliest group you’ll ever find, shown where we could set up for the weekend, given clearance to enjoy the target range (better half needed to sight in her newly acquired rifle) and invited to join a group campfire for the evening, where the finer details of what to expect, etc. were clarified to us.
Day 1 started off with the prerequisite safety details, explanation of targets and questions answered. Targets ranged from 25 to 110 yards, all free hand and mostly steel in nature (some golf balls, cd’s, etc hung from strings). Simple format; form a line, take your shot and if a hit, collect your bead. No second tries. This was done throughout the day. The day ended with a bbq supper supplied by the host club, with some potluck thrown in. Surprising how a day in the sun can tire one so much, and after cleaning guns it was sack time!
Day 2, same format but with the addition of some BPCR shooting as well as clay pigeons for smoothbore. Day ended with a team “stake shoot” competition, with my team placing second.
Day 3 was just a morning shoot “mountain man walk” whereas you had to collect your meat (2 rabbit targets at 60 & 75 yds), your veggies (a potato and a carrot hung by string at 25 yds) and “defend” yourself (a cream can hung at 65 yds), all inside 10 minutes and loading from the bag. Then you were required to set a trap, sink the hawk in the target, knife as well and build a fire with flint/steel (under a minute, just get flame in the tinder bundle). We all started with 13 beads on a lanyard and each time you missed, or failed, a bead was broken. You must complete each step before moving on. Run out of beads, your done. One who finishes with most beads left is the “winner” (although that was quite the “trophy”!). I did not finish, never thrown a knife before really did me in. Completed everything else with 11 beads remaining, never stuck the knife. NOW the better half.... well... 10 beads remaining after completion. Not sure if she was batting eyelashes at her judge or what?!? Lol
Walk

Below you’ll find a picture she had me take of her knife target. (I think it was to rub my face a bit!)
We enjoyed it so much we have started to look into period clothing now. I have a feeling it will only grow from there...
Walk

Attachments

• 658EA884-F29F-4C78-B1C0-8BA72EFFDD20.jpeg
    658EA884-F29F-4C78-B1C0-8BA72EFFDD20.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 146
Lol, I hear ya guys!
Sorry for the modern attire in the picture. Hopefully next year we will be better outfitted. Might not be 100% correct, as I understand that requires some serious study and $$. Neither of which we have.
But as I’ve read on here, gotta start somewhere.
Walk

I hear its all in the wrist like fly fishing? I did once throw an axe and get a bullseye at a renosance festival. 1st throw. The 2nd and 3rd missed the whole board LOL

No, I didn't take any pictures but there are some on the Pincher Creek Ramrodders Facebook page.

Don't believe I've ever stuck my knife and hawk is hard to train for with some of their "eccentric" target stands. Family reunion a couple of years, a nephew dared me to throw his survival hawk/hatchet at a random distance. Sunk it on the first try and quit while I was ahead.

A man has got to know his limitations.

Last edited:
Back