• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little report from the Rifle Frolic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
We had a glorious weekend in Union County, Pennswoods. The sun shone all day, stars brilliant at night until the moon came up, then we could have gone back to shooting. The air was dry clear. We had a few unusual gonnes including the one I will show you. It was a British style wall gun, four bore rifled. "junior", who is holding it, had it built for himself using a Rayl barrel and TRS parts. It must weigh forty pounds.
He shoots it with a tripod of saplings except at the stake shoot where he shot it offhand. Now 'Junior' is about 6'6", so he makes the gonne look a little smaller than it is. It has a fifty six inch barrel and stock dimensions are sized accordingly. In his words, "it pushes rather than kicks, but it pushes like a freight train." Having shot it myself with 200 grains of 2fg on Sunday afternoon, I would have to agree.
He has shot it with 400 grains. I don't want to get hit by that train, freight or otherwise.
RifleFrolic025.jpg

RifleFrolic026.jpg

It looks like a Brown Bess on steroids. Haw!
God bless.
volatpluvia

WOW..
Thats so amazing I am smiling ear to ear..You got to shoot it? Hows it shoot "aside from the freight train kick"

Rob

bessbattlesystem said:
Hows it shoot "aside from the freight train kick"
Rob

I too got to take a shot, nailed 10" gong at 100 yds. I didn't think it was all that bad. Jr. gave some good instructions. Hold gun firmly but not too tight, relax your body and let the recoil push your upper body back. 200 grains was comfortable but 400 and I would probably develop a flinch.

Regards,

Steve

Bess,
Now understand that Steve Pletcher is a bit taller than me and younger, thus stronger. I hadn't known who it was who hit the gong, but the gong is considerably misshapen and the ball simply pushed the gong right thru the 2x4 that it was mounted on. Someone found the chunk of lead that splattered off that gong. It was big. Now, remember, 100 grains is a quarter of the working charge, so when I shot that load the ball skipped off the grass about twenty feet in front of the hundred yard gong I aimed at. I did not hit the gong at 200 grains and I don't know where it hit. I would like to give junior a twenty dollar bill to let me experiment with it for a while.
volatpluvia

Back