• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little lathe work this afternoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
While waiting on my stock and hardware for my .40 caliber build, I'm trying to gather everything needed to shoot it. I already have balls, powder is on order, haven't found caps yet, patch worm, jag, scraper and range rod arrived this last week. The rod is from Rice barrels, 5/16" X 48", was supposed to be 10-32, came 8-32, all my accessories are 10-32. The rod was chucked up in the lathe and drilled and tapped for 10-32. The jag was a .45 so I turned it to work with the cotton material I'll use. The rod came with a tapered plastic bore guide, I took some 3/4" aluminum round stock and turned a bore guide.

IMG_5365.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg
IMG_5367.jpg

Looks good but I think your patch will get bunched up between the base of the jag and the top of the steel ram rod. I make my jags a bit longer than yours and taper them from front to back by about 0.015" to 0.020" over about 1.000". My grooves are also much closer together and not as deep. I make the grooves with a 60 degree threading tool plunged into the jag about 0.020" - 0.030" deep. My steel cleaning/range rod is also not as large in diameter as yours look - depending on bore size I don't go over 0.281" (9/32") stainless steel rod. Maybe up to 5/16".

I agree I would use a 1/4 inch rod and bot a 1/4 inch shank on the jag about 1/2 inch long. I don't go bigger than 1/4 inch until at least 45 caliber

Zug, I have a longer jag with a tapered body on order. I have ran some tight patches with JB bore paste through the barrel and the jag I have has worked fine, even loose patches weren't an issue. The new one should be here in a few days, better safe than sorry.

With a 42" barrel the 5/16" rod is what was recommended.

Thanks guys, Justin

Latest posts

Back