• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A group buy of black powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder what the response today would be today to a bed trailer with 1200 pounds of blackpowder going down the road?
You don't know the half of it .... Out in the middle of no where (open rolling hills on the Interstate we get into a thunder storm). Lighting all around us, we're doing 70MPH with our fingers crossed for like 20 miles before seeing blue skys again, exciting time.

I'm waiting for new rifle to be completed before I do anything, have several brands of powder to see which one this rifle likes. Doc White says this style of rifle he built in the past seemed to like Swiss the best performance. Once done there will be lots of testing with powder and bullets (paper patched and grease groove). Just getting ideas where and what's available as that time draws near. Thanks for the input.

I have "group" bought powder for over twenty years. It is easily the lowest cost way to go. My nephew and his boys go in with me and we order a twenty five lb. case. which spreads out the hazmat charge over the whole case. It is completely legal as long as you only split the case with the original group. Just as a club can order a case and split it among members who were members when the case was ordered,but not new members who join after the case was ordered.New members have to wait until the next order. Picky , picky but that is the law.

I'm not sure of the particulars, but the order in which a "group buy" is made may loom important. It is unlawful for an individual to sell black powder to other individuals without a license, technically speaking.

Not sure how the authorities view that sort of "group buy" thing, but collecting the money ahead of time from the participants would (maybe) preclude or obviate this from being an issue. Everything has sort of devolved into Calvinball, so YMMV. Be careful.
In the case of a "group buy", the one person who collects the money and orders the powder is considered to be a "agent" for the buy.

As an agent, he is not selling the powder, he is just serving as the person conducting the deal.

The catch is, all of the money has to be collected before the order is sent and records of who is involved and how much they paid should be kept to prove this wasn't a case of the agent just buying powder and then reselling later it to other people. Ideally, the money should be collected from everyone envolved in front of a Notary Public and the record of deal then stamped by the Notary. Of course, doing this is awkward for everyone so most people involved in these "group buy's" don't bother with that step.

One store in PA selling 4f at $2.69 ounce and you buy in 2 ounce containers. Good thing 4f goes a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today Grafs requires over 3 weeks to ship. I wonder if they have a separate
magazine far from their business. Also they state that if sold out of your choice
you agree to their substitute. Preppers prefer real black due to long term
storage ability, and they are likely driving up the prices and affecting selection.
Still I will wait a few months and see if prices come down before diving in.

"One store in PA selling 4f at $2.69 ounce and you buy in 2 ounce containers. Good thing 4f goes a long way."

That makes as much sense as buying oysters, one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, hope nobody's planning to do a group buy anytime soon. I just went online and tried to order from Graf and Sons and basically EVERYTHING is out of stock. I went to Midway and found their situation to be about the same. Powderinc.com had some powder available, but the price per pound was considerably higher than at Graf or Midway, so I passed. Geez.......I don't even mind waiting and I don't think my buddies would care either, but Graf and Midway won't even take the order and put your powder on backorder, so I'm going to pass for now. Hopefully it will become available soon. We were even fairly flexible about substitutions if it came to that, but basically NOTHING is available (we wanted mostly 3F, some 2F and one pound of 4F I think, about 20 pounds total).

1. Has anyone thought about a group buy of black powder?
  2. Would there be an advantage to having a large order?
  3. How would we get it shipped to those involved?

Yes I've done several over the past two years.

There is a big advantage, but that is in part because over-the-counter pounds of black powder, when in stock are running about $28 per pound or higher where I live. Now, especially since Graf's powder is made by GOEX, it is the least expensive and a lot of us are using it for all applications and not just blanks. So a 20 lb. order, the cost is about $18.82 per pound. That's an overall savings of $200 if one was to buy the same amount of powder OTC where I live.

Getting it to people is a bit of logistics. First, because of the laws in my state, I have to have the money up front for each person's order, if the powder is for personal use. As a 501(c)(3) organization, that issues powder for blanks to members, that's a bit easier. The money "up front" is to prevent any goofy bureaucrat or other official from causing a ruckus, claiming we are "selling" the stuff without a license, and taking money for the powder after it arrived and based on somebody's promise to pay for it upon arrival, we felt was too much of a gray area here in the People's Republic of Maryland.

Then we meet at an event, folks pick up their paid-for order, OR..., IF I'm going to be near them as I travel, I can drop it off. IF we were to try and ship it..., then the hazmat fees would kick in and defeat the whole purpose of a group buy.

LD

Well, hope nobody's planning to do a group buy anytime soon. I just went online and tried to order from Graf and Sons and basically EVERYTHING is out of stock. I went to Midway and found their situation to be about the same. Powderinc.com had some powder available, but the price per pound was considerably higher than at Graf or Midway, so I passed. Geez.......I don't even mind waiting and I don't think my buddies would care either, but Graf and Midway won't even take the order and put your powder on backorder, so I'm going to pass for now. Hopefully it will become available soon. We were even fairly flexible about substitutions if it came to that, but basically NOTHING is available (we wanted mostly 3F, some 2F and one pound of 4F I think, about 20 pounds total).
Regarding Powder Inc, pricing does include shipping and hazmat. I've compared their prices vs Grafs, etc, and their prces get competitive ay 10 lbs and above. I bought my last batch from Midway, but Powder Inc is a close 2nd for me in this time of difficulty...

Not be funny guys theres a guy in a southern state has percussion cap at 9.50 per 100 and ship is just $70.00 it crazy times

Back