• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A group buy of black powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason for the "Question" is I'm use to buying from Coonies and having it shipped to the farm in Colorado with a powder magazine available. Now that I live in Utah and have sold the farm I don't have that option today.

I've done this with a few buddies in years past and I'm probably going to do it this year. By "group buy", I'm talking about 3, maybe 4 guys and 8 or 10 pounds of powder. I wouldn't want to assume liability for people I don't know and don't already shoot or hunt with personally.

Questions:
  1. Has anyone thought about a group buy of black powder?
  2. Would there be an advantage to having a large order?
  3. How would we get it shipped to those involved?
Not sure how much powder you are talking about for your group buy, but for commercially packaged containers, 25 pounds per hazmat fee seems to be the limit. Are you talking one pound containers or bulk packaging. Best to discuss with powder distributor / seller rather than getting advice off an Internet forum. There would be no ‘shipping’ to individuals involved (would required hazmat shipping), they would have to pick up the powder they previously paid for. Also, be aware of local regulations.

I just recently put together a group buy for our muzzle loader group at my club. We ordered a total of 25# of mixed grades of Goex and Swiss. By ordering 25#, we got free shipping and haz mat. The order will be delivered to my house, and I will notify the people that placed orders that it is in to pick up.

This "Group buy" idea only works if all of the people involved live within driving distance from the buying agents house or where he has the powder shipped to.
In other words, someplace where the people involved in the buy can pick it up personally.

I'm moving this thread from the Classified section to the Shooting Accessories area where it belongs.

This "Group buy" idea only works if all of the people involved live within driving distance from the buying agents house or where he has the powder shipped to.
In other words, someplace where the people involved in the buy can pick it up personally.
When still in Colorado we would make a yearly run for a mixture of different grades of black powder. I let a local explosives company keep their magazine on our property (300 acres). For rent he kept our muzzle-loading clubs powder in his magazine. Once a year we would take my flat bed 24 foot trailer to Hobbs, New Mexico to Coonies and get what we needed, usually 1,200 lbs. to supply the explosive guy and the clubs from Denver to Cheyenne. Get this the cost in the mid 70's was $4.00 a pound.

Questions:
Buck,

Things have changed (9-11) since those days.

You can still do group buys such as GANGREEN and Grimord described, but an individual now can only have a maximum of 50 lbs of black powder in his/her possession. That is the Federal limit. Some states have lower limits.

You have to get a special permit from the Feds if you want to keep more than 50 lbs, which is expensive and requires you store the powder in a magzine that meets the government requirments. This is why very few businesses carry black powder today.

The hazmat fee for shipping powder is the same whether you order 5 lbs or 25 lbs, so it is cheaper to order it in quantity. A case of black powder has 25 lbs in it, so that is the common amount that people order, but if you are splitting it up between several people, you could probably order 2 cases.

Most places that sell it online will allow you to mix granulation and brands in one case.

I try and stock up whenever I drop 10 lbs or so below my legally allowed limit. If I had another shooter in my area that I knew of I would definitely do the group buy. When I first got back into BP guns an older gentleman who was getting out of shooting gave me a nice stash of powder to get me started as I shot it up I bit the bullet and bought a full case. After that I make sure I never run low.

You have to get a special permit from the Feds if you want to keep more than 50 lbs, which is expensive and requires you store the powder in a magzine that meets the government requirments. The hazmat fee for shipping powder is the same whether you order 5 lbs or 25 lbs, so it is cheaper to order it in quantity.

The explosive company had all the special permits in place on their magazine at Masonville (Squirrel Shoot Range). So that wasn't an issue for the Buckhorn Skinners, I made Pat (explosive guy) a member of the club and got him a deal on a GRRW Leman at the same time. Hazmat rules weren't around until 1996/1997. (I think that's correct ??)
4_1.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the particulars, but the order in which a "group buy" is made may loom important. It is unlawful for an individual to sell black powder to other individuals without a license, technically speaking.

Not sure how the authorities view that sort of "group buy" thing, but collecting the money ahead of time from the participants would (maybe) preclude or obviate this from being an issue. Everything has sort of devolved into Calvinball, so YMMV. Be careful.

Once a year we would take my flat bed 24 foot trailer to Hobbs, New Mexico to Coonies and get what we needed, usually 1,200 lbs. to supply the explosive guy and the clubs from Denver to Cheyenne.
Wonder what the response today would be today to a bed trailer with 1200 pounds of blackpowder going down the road?

I have done a few of the group buys, no issues, I would be interested in another one, spring turkey season is coming up.

Questions:
Our reinactment group orders 25 lbs every so often and split the hazmat costs. I think 25 is the min.

25lb. is the best way to buy for the average guy (s), shipping haz mat. fee same $ for 25lb or 1 lb. I can remember buying it in 25 pound tin kegs, for $1.25 a pound. Last time I split with my buddy Norm, ( also a member of this group ) we were in at around 15$ a pound averaged out a couple years ago. Came in 25 1lb plastic cans , that was good as you could order all four types of F .

The 3 of us just purchased 50 lbs. The price increased from $20 to $23 a pound in the time we decided to buy. Luckily it still is available

Back