• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A good read

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've just started reading the Journal(s) of Lewis and Clark. Enjoying it. I especially wanted to read it because of the air rifle they carried on their journey.

I went to fort Clatsop and saw a working example of this much written about air rifle.
It was an awesome thing to see. 1500 pumps to fill the air canister was the butt stock to 800psi.
Derek

here 2 links to videos about it the repeating air rifle

1500 pumps to fill the air canister was the butt stock to 800psi.
... which makes me wonder how often that was actually done. At an average pace of 1 pump per second, that would be 25 minutes of continuous pumping -- possibly more if the effort increased with the number of pumps. Apparently they also employed "wheeled air-pumping carts ... behind the lines," which seems like a more reasonable approach -- like returning behind the lines for more "ammunition". Apparently that amounted to what was effectively a 20-80 shot "magazine" (reports seem to differ).

If I had a good replica, which I would love too, I would use a compressor or tank.

The Lewis and Clark journals are a great read, but difficult at times due to their terrible spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It’s like reading my kids texts…sometimes I need an interpreter! I’ve read several books about L&C and the best was “Undaunted Courage” by Steven Ambrose

Back