A good read

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

tom in nc

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've just started reading the Journal(s) of Lewis and Clark. Enjoying it. I especially wanted to read it because of the air rifle they carried on their journey.

Reaction score
I went to fort Clatsop and saw a working example of this much written about air rifle.
It was an awesome thing to see. 1500 pumps to fill the air canister was the butt stock to 800psi.
Derek

here 2 links to videos about it the repeating air rifle

Reaction score
1500 pumps to fill the air canister was the butt stock to 800psi.
... which makes me wonder how often that was actually done. At an average pace of 1 pump per second, that would be 25 minutes of continuous pumping -- possibly more if the effort increased with the number of pumps. Apparently they also employed "wheeled air-pumping carts ... behind the lines," which seems like a more reasonable approach -- like returning behind the lines for more "ammunition". Apparently that amounted to what was effectively a 20-80 shot "magazine" (reports seem to differ).

tom in nc

40 Cal
Reaction score
If I had a good replica, which I would love too, I would use a compressor or tank.

Reaction score
The Lewis and Clark journals are a great read, but difficult at times due to their terrible spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It’s like reading my kids texts…sometimes I need an interpreter! I’ve read several books about L&C and the best was “Undaunted Courage” by Steven Ambrose