• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A good day hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I was able to get out and onto the edge of a nice yaupon filled postoak mott and try to get some pork for the larder. My oldest son manages a nice spike in the morning with his .40 Tennessee flint rifle at about 60 yards.

At close to sundown I took this really nice fat gilt with my .54 Jäger, Gertrude.

She was the first pig in the group of about a dozen that offered a clear shot. Mebbe a 60 pounder. She had edged her way into the clearing I was watching. They were all about the same size. As usual with the pigs here they were quite the assortment of the spectrum. Experience has proven, regardless of color, they are all quite tasty. Now preparations will be made at my pit!

Happy New Year to you all!

E.

Thanks!

Beggers can’t be choosers! I’ll take every 60 pounder that comes down the trail. My first choice is one of those that you can tote with one hand! ;)

Call em pigcicles!

Logcutter,

I asked if there was any backstrap left this morning. My granddaughter informed me “no, I ate the last 10 pieces!”

Grandson killed his first back opening day in November. That deer is already gone. Son has successfully raised a whole gang of carnivores! They eat a lot of deer. I dunno how much of the October elk is left????

Grandson killed his first back opening day in November. That deer is already gone. Son has successfully raised a whole gang of carnivores! They eat a lot of deer. I dunno how much of the October elk is left????

I'm betting not much elk left either. There is just my wife and I left at home now and we eat two and usually three deer a year, if I get them, and they are gone by the end of April. My daughter and son in law got two this year and a lot of theirs is already gone. I wish elk was on the menu but it's not.

Yesterday evening I was able to get out and onto the edge of a nice yaupon filled postoak mott and try to get some pork for the larder. My oldest son manages a nice spike in the morning with his .40 Tennessee flint rifle at about 60 yards.

At close to sundown I took this really nice fat gilt with my .54 Jäger, Gertrude.

She was the first pig in the group of about a dozen that offered a clear shot. Mebbe a 60 pounder. She had edged her way into the clearing I was watching. They were all about the same size. As usual with the pigs here they were quite the assortment of the spectrum. Experience has proven, regardless of color, they are all quite tasty. Now preparations will be made at my pit!

Happy New Year to you all!

E.

Logcutter,

I really have no interest in hunting deer anymore. I got my elk in October too. It will last me at least 6-8 months. I do love eating elk. But I do like to hunt hogs. About all I hunt anymore here. I would much rather have 3 nice plump shoats in the larder than a deer. :) Just me.

Good morning Watopeka!

I find the smaller ones taste just fine. For many personal reasons I try to stay away from hogs over 100 pounds. But if you kill a gamey smelling old boar we’ve always had luck packing them on ice for about a week and let them drain out.

Usually just pack em in a propped up ice chest with the non drain spout end propped up so it will drain. I’ve had this gilt on ice since last tuesday. Wrapped the hams last night and put em in the freezer. Gave shoulders and neck to old son for his deer sausage.

Btw, I got up this morning and got the pit going. Ribs and a loin been going almost an hour now. Pics later!!!!

Edit!

You fellas don’t laugh, but this is my favorite size pig!!

I smoke em for about 3 or 4 hours then wrap em in foil stuffed with onions, potatoes, and peeled oranges! Dust it down with some Tony Chachere’s, Back on pit for another 3 or so hours.

When done, meat just falls off bone. Dinner for two! Pigcicles!!!! Yum!

Last edited:
Back