• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A good day grouse hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call them mountain chickens, they taste so much better than chicken though. Their best attribute is to nearly give ya a heart attack when they finally spook and fly away to a tree. You need to damn near step on them out here in my area.

This brings up a question I was going to run by you guys. I have 3 beautiful cast iron pans passed down from my grandfather which were in constant use by my mother while I grew up, now being used in my /my wife's house these past 27 years. Well, my mother NEVER put soap and water to any of them, but just rubbed them clean and told me to always do the same. Well, that's not what my wife has done, and a couple weeks ago the biggest pan almost got destroyed whenm she had a little too much dinner wine before dinner and burned the chicken right down to the point where she ended it up scrupping it to clean iron. While she was at it she decide later that week it would be a good time to "re-season" the other two as well. I have to hold my emotions in check when I see them as she looks at different youtube "directions" and the pans just look AWFUL! Do any of you souls out there have some SOLID knowledge and direction I can take to help me preserve these pieces of precious family legacy well over a century?
take a deep breath and be patient. those will heal through use.
there are far worse things could have happened, like dropping on a rock at camp and breaking in two. don't ask.

Be careful with the smaller cast iron pieces of cookware. Make sure the former owners used it for COOKING! I once saw a guy melting LEAD in a small fry pan.

Be careful with the smaller cast iron pieces of cookware. Make sure the former owners used it for COOKING! I once saw a guy melting LEAD in a small fry pan.

Lowes and other vendors sell lead swab test kits to check for lead residue. My daughter collects cast iron cookware and has used the kits on pans with unknown history.

I find it amusing this post started over a grouse hunt and now we're talking about restoring old cast iron cookware. 😂

Here is a slightly related question.
I got myself another one over the weekend and have the skin pinned out and covered in borax. I want to save to use the feathers for tying flies.
How long should I leave it in the borax before it's done?

Back