• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A good day grouse hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter has gotten into collecting older Wagner and Griswold cast iron cookware. She has had good luck at garage and estate sales and usually pays less for the old stuff than she would for new, especially Lodge. She has cleaning it down to an artform. She started by soaking in a Lye water solution to remove old burnt on grease. She would then soak in vinegar to remove rust. She has since built an electrolis tank to take rust etc. of the old pans. If they aren't pitted bad then look like new when they come out of the oven after being seasoned. She found directions on some of the collector sites in the internet. Many of the older ones are much higher quality than new and are cast much lighter. Be careful though it can become as addicting as muzzle loading firearms. Pretty soon you will not only have a bunch of muzzleloaders but also a kitchen stuffed with cast iron cookware.

My daughter has gotten into collecting older Wagner and Griswold cast iron cookware. She has had good luck at garage and estate sales and usually pays less for the old stuff than she would for new, especially Lodge. She has cleaning it down to an artform. She started by soaking in a Lye water solution to remove old burnt on grease. She would then soak in vinegar to remove rust. She has since built an electrolis tank to take rust etc. of the old pans. If they aren't pitted bad then look like new when they come out of the oven after being seasoned. She found directions on some of the collector sites in the internet. Many of the older ones are much higher quality than new and are cast much lighter. Be careful though it can become as addicting as muzzle loading firearms. Pretty soon you will not only have a bunch of muzzleloaders but also a kitchen stuffed with cast iron cookware.
Thats the road I found myself on before I had to downsize.
Walk

Grouse are in season here in Idaho. I had a good day chasing them with my pedersoli shotgun. I managed to take 2 of them and saw some mule deer.
Now I need to find a good recipe for them.

View attachment 93914
you sir are killing me! heare i'm stuck in hospital sucking O2 while real life goes buy outside!
go up Smith creek to saddle pass and get some Blues. twice the size

you sir are killing me! heare i'm stuck in hospital sucking O2 while real life goes buy outside!
Hmmmm. Take a peek at what happened to me while hunting blues in Idaho; THE HUNTING JOURNAL August 26, 2020 post. Been many years and I miss hunting in Idaho, Dale

That looks like a nice area close to the Canadian border. I'm not sure I will be able make it that far north this year. I live in the Lemhi county area.

I'm sorry your stuck in the hospital. I hope you recover soon enough to get some hunting done this year.

When I find a well rusted piece of cast iron I take it to a shop with a sand blaster and get it cleaned down to the metal. Very fast and effective. Then season it the way I want it.

Girlfriend and I just spent the weekend with our smoothbores after grouse. Got a mix of Ruffies and Spruce and had a fine meal. She commented that she believes the Spruce tasted better to her (I prepared by slicing into strips and frying in grapeseed oil with a touch of seasoning salt). I agreed that both are equal until the snow starts and all other food sources disappear, then Spruce grouse require a soak in milk! Lol
Walk

Why pluck, cut or clean? Immediately after dispatching the bird, lay it on its back, spread the wings out to the ground and put your left/right foot on top of corresponding wings, grab the feet of the bird and pull everything you want to eat! Grouse, dove quaill, works perfect. No fuss no muss

My prefered way to make grouse is to fillet the breast meat off, cut into bite size pieces season with lemon pepper, shake them in flour (we like gluten free flower, for some reason it seems to seal in juices better and the old woman is allergic to flower) then we fry then in butter and margerine mix. We do the same to ducks and woodcock, everyone loves them and very simple.

This brings up a question I was going to run by you guys. I have 3 beautiful cast iron pans passed down from my grandfather which were in constant use by my mother while I grew up, now being used in my /my wife's house these past 27 years. Well, my mother NEVER put soap and water to any of them, but just rubbed them clean and told me to always do the same. Well, that's not what my wife has done, and a couple weeks ago the biggest pan almost got destroyed whenm she had a little too much dinner wine before dinner and burned the chicken right down to the point where she ended it up scrupping it to clean iron. While she was at it she decide later that week it would be a good time to "re-season" the other two as well. I have to hold my emotions in check when I see them as she looks at different youtube "directions" and the pans just look AWFUL! Do any of you souls out there have some SOLID knowledge and direction I can take to help me preserve these pieces of precious family legacy well over a century?

Back