• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A good day grouse hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k.jacobfrost

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Grouse are in season here in Idaho. I had a good day chasing them with my pedersoli shotgun. I managed to take 2 of them and saw some mule deer.
Now I need to find a good recipe for them.

20210912_135908.jpg

The guys at the camp like this way ...........Gut and skin the bird. Cut the bird into pieces so the bird fits the pressure cooker pot , efficiently. Add a good sized onion to the pot with salt , pepper , and a couple cups of chicken broth. Pressure cook for 25 min. . Remove meat from the bones, put the broth , onion residue , into the rest of the quart of chicken broth . Boil wide noodles until soft , drain , and combine the cooked grouse meat mixture with the noodles. Make some drop biscuits , serve with the grouse and noodles........ This can be squirrel and noodles , Pheasant , and noodles , etc.. Now , I'm hungry. ................oldwood

I believe this is a 12ga (per another thread). That jalapeno/bacon thing sounds incredible, btw. Thanks for the idea, Deerman.

I believe this is a 12ga (per another thread). That jalapeno/bacon thing sounds incredible, btw. Thanks for the idea, Deerman.
During my last hunting trip to northern Maine, my buddy's son hunted grouse every day. He got at least 2 per day and that's how he prepared the birds.
Yes sir, they were awesome.

:thumb: Nice white meat, usually very tender. Cook any way you cook chicken.

I like to pluck, split in half lengthwise with shears and sprinkle with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning after rubbing with olive oil.
Place on grill for 2-3 minutes each side or in the broiler for the same amount of time.
Don't overcook or they will be dry and chewy.

Back