• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A gift of cast iron.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fleener said:
http://www.castironcollector.com/finishing.php

Not all cast iron was finished to the same degree. If you have an old Griswold, it is smoother than some, and it is not just from being old and used.
FACT - Surface finish of the cast iron has practically ZERO influence on the capability of the pan! My lady subscribes to Cooks magazine, where they scientifically test the science behind recipes and cookware. They had a huge issue dedicated to cast iron cookware, testing $10 imports to $20 Lodge models, to antique Griswolds, to custom made pieces costing $300.

The BEST of the lot? The $20 Lodge and Grandma’s hand-me-down Griswolds!

Most interesting - and to my point - they made specific mention that the surface finish on the Lodge brand pans were noticeably ”˜rougher’ than all the others, but it didn't translate to cookabiltiy or food sticking. They rated the Lodge cast iron pans as BEST BUY!

Cooks magazine also tested many methods of seasoning and cleaning and again recommended ... do what Lodge says to do.

I found it to be a ringing endorsement of Lodge pans, even though I personally also use Griswolds ... but the better half forbids them from joining me in our camp, haha! So I have to resort to my ”˜backup’ Lodge pans :surrender: !

Flint62Smoothie said:
fleener said:
http://www.castironcollector.com/finishing.php

Not all cast iron was finished to the same degree. If you have an old Griswold, it is smoother than some, and it is not just from being old and used.
FACT - Surface finish of the cast iron has practically ZERO influence on the capability of the pan! My lady subscribes to Cooks magazine, where they scientifically test the science behind recipes and cookware. They had a huge issue dedicated to cast iron cookware, testing $10 imports to $20 Lodge models, to antique Griswolds, to custom made pieces costing $300.

The BEST of the lot? The $20 Lodge and Grandma’s hand-me-down Griswolds!

Most interesting - and to my point - they made specific mention that the surface finish on the Lodge brand pans were noticeably ”˜rougher’ than all the others, but it didn't translate to cookabiltiy or food sticking. They rated the Lodge cast iron pans as BEST BUY!

Cooks magazine also tested many methods of seasoning and cleaning and again recommended ... do what Lodge says to do.

I found it to be a ringing endorsement of Lodge pans, even though I personally also use Griswolds ... but the better half forbids them from joining me in our camp, haha! So I have to resort to my ”˜backup’ Lodge pans :surrender: !

Does Lodge advertise in Cooks Magazine?

Those results do not match my own experience at all.

I agree with NA on this one. Have some old no names that I always choose over my new lodge. I’ve actually contemplated refinishing the lodge and smooth it up a bit

Native Arizonan said:
Does Lodge advertise in Cooks Magazine?
No, they do not. In fact, there is ZERO advertising in the magazine, kind of like Consumer Reports but for cooking, trying to remain truly independent.

Those results do not match my own experience at all.
... that's too bad to hear ... we've had good luck w/ them!

I think I have over a 100 cast items now.....

I've had good Taiwan imports, good Lodge , good Griswold and Wagner's as well as others.......

I've also had some that weren't....

They all behave differently IMO....The one you use the most usually works the best.

Often people don't preheat the heavy pans (like Lodge) enough before they start cooking. Or they heat them to fast/hot.....

Cast iron is like a musical instrument.....

Does anyone else have a scotch bowl? I bought one at a yard sale and haven't cleaned it up enough to use, yet, I just washed it off and got some oil into it to keep it from rusting more. It has a round bottom and looks like it could serve as a mixing bowl, wash basin, wok, or stew pot. This one is just a bit over 100 years old. I don't know when they quit making them, or more importantly when they started making them.

Native Arizonan said:
Does anyone else have a scotch bowl? .

I don't....There are so many items out there I know I'll never see them all....

A friend of mine has a high domed skillet lid that is about the same as a scotch bowl.....I've never seen another one like it.

I've got old cast iron that used to belong to my grandmother (at least) and were given to my sister. They were rusty when I got them, so I put a cup or two of charcoal in them and burned out the rust and then oiled them. One has legs; used in a fireplace, I guess.

My skillet has been in use for many years, don't remember where I got it, though. You have to heat the skillet before you add the oil to keep it from sticking. It ain't like Teflon, but it's pretty danged good.

Back