• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A gift of cast iron.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to argue :wink:

I almost never use soap, just wash with water and elbow grease and a dish towel or a soap-free scratchy sponge.

Except after someone makes a sticky cobbler or upside down cake. I find they often cling stubbornly and need soap. Still no soaking!! And if I wash them ASAP and use a bit of soap it doesn't seem to remove the seasoning. And I haven't tasted the soap. I minimize the use of soap as much as possible though.

zimmerstutzen said:
Even when some food does stick to the cast iron pan, particularly ham or bacon, I found that the easiest way to clean it is to add some water and simmer stir occasionally. Stuck stuff comes off clean almost within seconds and I get either red eye gravy for the grits, or bacon grease gravy for on the dog's kibble.
Isn't that called declassing the pan?

So has anyone really figured out(how?) to absolutely have seasoned cast iron pans forever?
For real?
Or should we all just care for our iron pans like we should?
Seasoned pans stay seasoned,
Fouled pans get cleaned and re-seasoned,

Is there an absolute secret?
(I already told ya about my brothers egg pan)

I picked up a nice Griswold for 2 bucks, I'll sell it at trappers days for 15.00! I cok on them every day and I still have my Grandmothers little one.
Nit Wit

If you know what you are doing you will never need to use soap on ironware.
If someone else makes things bad enough that you need to use soap on that pan, or worse some one put soap in your pan no one will ever know you used soap on the pan, if you go about things right.

Elbow grease applied for a little longer than most would go at it and Barkeepers Friend are the best secret.
The best pans are not the best pans because of the season. It is easy to season a pan and get it ready in short time. Burn some fat in it, pour it off, pour in some water when the pan is hot enough to cause a violent boil, pour it off, wipe the pan down with a towel. Then apply a light coat of whatever oil you are fond of, wipe it again.
The best fry pans are that way because they are old and have a worn slick cooking surface. Every time we push the spatula across the pan and every time we use a fork to scrap the partial burnt on yumminess, it works the surface down some. Go look at the pans your ma gave you, then go look at the pans your kids have at their houses. The difference in iron fry pans that have been in use for a couple generations and the one that is fresh off the rack is pronounced. And it is not a case of 'not made like they used to'. I had a friend that dealt in ironware and a large portion of his stock was NOS. New iron pots haven't been used enough to get that worn surface that makes it less likely to stick.

The one I have is about 10 years in service and it is just now starting to get that proper worn state, probably won't be just right for another 10. Now my brother got the pan that sat in dads house for most his life. My favorite pan. It is slick and very well seasoned.

My Maternal Grandmother came to live with us shortly after Grandpa died and I was about 4 1/2. She would not cook with any fry pan that was not cast iron. She washed the Iron pans in hot soap and water and rinsed them with scalding hot rinse water, wiped them dry and wiped them with Crisco or oil afterwards. Never got the taste of soap in the food, but we never used scented dish soap.

I have had to semi retire my cast iron pans because I can't seem to get the hang of cooking with them on an electric stove. I grew up with gas (my preference) and cooked a lot with that and over camp fires with Iron pans and pots. Just could never seem to get the hang of cooking with Iron pans on electric burners.

Gus

Great find Colorado! I was given two Lodge brand pans a few years ago, person didn’t know how to use them. After cleaning and re seasoning they are great. However my two go to pans are my old ones dating back to my grandmother, handed down to my mom and then to me. Biggest is 12 inches plus or minus and is a Griswold. The inside surface has a mirror finish and nothing sticks. The smaller pan is a Wagner? Never heard of this brand but it too has a mirror finish inside. After use they are cleaned and taken care of before I sit down to eat! I believe the Griswold goes back to my great grandmother not sure on the Wagner but it’s US made and old

Artificer said:
I have had to semi retire my cast iron pans because I can't seem to get the hang of cooking with them on an electric stove. I grew up with gas (my preference) and cooked a lot with that and over camp fires with Iron pans and pots. Just could never seem to get the hang of cooking with Iron pans on electric burners.

Gus
What works for me is ensuring the pans are evenly heated. Electric burners have hot & cold spots, so I rotate pans to adjust. Another approach is to heat the pan on the burner, add the oil then the food. If cooking something like steak that requires a good, even heat, I place my pan in the oven at 450-500F to preheat for ~30 minutes before adding the meat - nicest mahogany-brown crust I've even gotten.

I have a few non-cast iron pans that are used for certain food items, but the cast iron pans are primary.

I cook with cast iron a glass electric cook top. They work okay if they are flat on the bottom to even a smidgen concave. If they aren't flat they don't work so well. I also pick and choose what I use them for and stay away from watery stuff. Most of the time for clean up I add about 1/2 a cup of hot water or if not hot heat it on the stove and then use a metal pot scrubber to get off any baked on stuff. Once it is loose, I simply rinse and wipe dry with a towel or paper towel. If I won't be using them for a while and storing, I put a few drops of veggie or olive oil in them and wipe it around with a paper towel to coat the inside.

necchi said:
So has anyone really figured out(how?) to absolutely have seasoned cast iron pans forever?
For real?
Or should we all just care for our iron pans like we should?
Seasoned pans stay seasoned,
Fouled pans get cleaned and re-seasoned,

Is there an absolute secret?
(I already told ya about my brothers egg pan)

Yes. A cast iron pot or pan should be a one person utensil. I cook in 'my' cast iron frying pan. But, occasionally, my wife will decide to use it. :( She uses a way too high heat and invariably burns the food and seasoning. Then I scrub it with soap and brass Brillo. That means re-seasoning. I use lard (never Crisco) by coating in and out then putting in the oven at about 300 degrees for an hour or so. Until she (mis)uses it again it is non-stick.

clean your iron cookware with hot oil and a rag, never water and soap.

soap helps our egos but heat kills germs.

my Great Grandmothers cookware set (used by my wife) looks like black marble and is slick as teflon.

I use only water and never cook acidic foods like tomato-based dishes in cast iron. The other thing, which has probably already been mentioned, is to heat the pan before adding the fat and add the food at a fairly high temperature, never to a cold pan or it will stick. I heat dry it after washing it and add a coat of olive oil and let the heat open up the pores to accept the seasoning.

Back