• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A gift of cast iron.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you are no novice in the use of cast iron but I am posting this for the benefit of those who are novices.

If I were to get a cast iron pan in the condition that you received yours, I would scour it with a scouring pad until it was thoroughly clean. Then I would thoroughly dry it in the oven. Immediately upon removing it from the oven while it is still hot, I would take several folds of paper towel and some Crisco and coat the inside of the pot thoroughly. Then, I would return it to the oven for several minutes to as long as an hour for the oil to season the inside of the pan. Then, I would turn off the oven and let it cool. When the oven was cool, I would remove the pan, wipe it out with paper towels and apply a light coat of Crisco with a good rubbing. Then wipe out the pan and it should be seasoned.

Once the pan is seasoned, it should never need to be washed with soap but if it ever becomes necessary to wash it with soap to get it clean, the seasoning process should be repeated.

Every Wednesday Iowa State University has their surplus sale. It is like the biggest garage sale you could ever want to go to. I have bought a ton of stuff there over the years. Anything that the University wants to get rid of. My wife always knows it is Wednesday when she comes home and something new is sitting on the counter.

2 weeks ago I bought 4 Griswolds, 2 #8 and 2 #6 pans. Cost me $10 each.

They need a light cleaning and a re seasoning. Got a buddy at work that is doing several this weekend, along with mine. He does not know it yet, but I am going to give him choice of pans when he brings them back.

I had the pleasure of knowing my wife's grandfather. When he was younger he used to work at a cast iron foundry. He made quite a bit of stuff for himself. After he passed, I inherited several of his pans. I have a very nice large round pan that he made and it is my favorite. He also loved to have fish frys with friends, I have 2 of his pans that are rectangle and about the size of the top of nice sized gas grill. They are heavy. I have 1 or 2 fish frys for friends every year and I know that Opa would very much approve.

Fleener

Last edited by a moderator:
Billnpatti said:
George said:

Ehhhh...... :hmm: maybe so but my take is that her Birkenstocks seem to be laced a little bit too tight.
According to Sheryl... "I'm a writer, programmer, and helping professional with degrees in psychology, counseling, and fine arts. The programming part is self-taught.

I've written extensively about computer technology, emotional eating, and environmentalism - particularly global warming science and policy."

She should know about seasoning cast iron. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good article. But what gives the best results, might not be the most expedient. Perhaps wild hog hunters have a market for 'cast iron seasoning' fat.

Too much science, huh? :grin:

Well, it was worth a shot. Many things get that way if you drill down to the real basics of them, especially something like seasoning cast iron, where everybody already has the perfect, detailed method, proven by years of personal experience stretching back to the matriarch of the clan and not to be deviated from. Problem is, all the perfect methods are different...soap or no soap, soap but not detergent, how hot for how long, animal or vegetable fat, above or below the smoking point, scour or not, oil before or after cooking, and that only scratches the surface, excuse the pun.

If the real, actual, proven method of seasoning cast iron ever comes along it will change nothing. Why should it, everybody already has the perfect method, not to be messed with. Don't need no high-falutin egghead explanation of how things really work, my skillet is already the best that can possibly be. :haha: :haha:

Spence

Yep, asking what is the best way to season a cast iron pot is like asking what is the best patch or bullet lube. Everybody has his or her favorite lube. Each is different and it is always the best there is. :haha:

The reality is that people rarely look for a solution when there isn't a problem. If your pans work well....there isn't a problem.

Maybe not a problem, but a puzzle. If my pan doesn't stick, then I wonder why. :grin:

Spence

Lodge does OK, but I prefer my method...let your Grandmother use the skillet for 50 years, then let your Mother do the same, and when you get the skillet, your food will never stick. :grin:

Spence

Bo T said:
Good article. But what gives the best results, might not be the most expedient. Perhaps wild hog hunters have a market for 'cast iron seasoning' fat.

Bear about a month ago my wife was cleaning out the fridge and thought my Masson jar of rendered bear fat was ??? some damn salad Dressing she had made, scraped it out and dumped it in the garbage. About the time it hit the garbage (with 6 or 8 jar loads of other condiments already in there) She :doh: and realized what she had done. enough raw bear fat in the freezer to make about one more pint. Then I need to kill a bear.

A few methods. Rub it well with crisco or lard and put in a 225 degree oven for a couple hours or more. Just keep your eyes out for smoke. Or,fill it about a 1/4-1/3 full with peanut oil and heat to 300-325, monitor the heat and using a brush keep brushing the sides. A good 30 minutes should do it. But the best method is put it in a deep fryer and forget it for an hour. Wipe off excess oil when its cool enough to touch. This method gets the entire pot, you can put the lid in too. Try to avoid cooking acidic stuff in there like spaghetti sauce. If you are on good terms with your favorite restaurant, you could probably get them to drop it in their deep fryer during off hours.

Using a pot as a deep fryer works great...but I never thought of dunking the whole pot in a deep fryer... :doh: :haha: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
What if you put it in a pressure deep fryer? :hmm:

Even when some food does stick to the cast iron pan, particularly ham or bacon, I found that the easiest way to clean it is to add some water and simmer stir occasionally. Stuck stuff comes off clean almost within seconds and I get either red eye gravy for the grits, or bacon grease gravy for on the dog's kibble.

Back