• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A few weekend project wrap up!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had various accoutrements either completed or in work... Today was the day to finish so said projects and snap a few images to share!

First is a simple shooters bag hand sewn with linen, made from bison hide. Decided to line the inside even though linings are a debatable period subject. Lined the bag with a nice floral print that were remnants from a trade shirt I made awhile back. Strap is heavy tooling leather and heavily greased with mink tallow. The buckle was a project in it's own, hand forged that little piece in my new side blast forge that I recently finished (bellows still in work). Lastly it's finished off with a pewter button to secure the flap.

Second up, finally finished my little finger woven strap for a new horn, also completely re-worked a second time. Coat hanger staple fixed and horn slimmed down even more! :grin: I'm a big fan of finger weaving, since this horn is simplistic, decided a simple diagonal weave in a three color pattern would complement the horn nicely.

Next we have a split pouch, very handy bag to have and well documented. This bag was made from a commercial dear hide I snagged at a event for $20, no brainer there. Bag is again all hand sewn with linen and a common whip stich used for the entire bag. Beading is a simple edge technique, nothing fancy just a nice little addition. Lastly, deer tail tin cones to finish off the bottoms. Bag also has been greased with mink tallow. Images of the dimensions for anyone interested will follow.

Last but not least... A simple tumpline, which will be replacing another in the collection. I had the strap made from linen by a good friend. Only unfortunate problem here is it's been woven on a loom... I'll let it slide though. Since blue is my favorite color, made the executive decision to dye it blue. Both ties are braided from six separate lengths of hemp, total length of each equals 12ft, 6ft when folded through the bison hide ends. Again, nothing fancy but completely functional!

Nice work :thumbsup:

I really like the split bag , I’m planning on doing one in wool with short leather fringe on both ends.

I’d love to see the demensions you used .

Thank you all!

smo, check the images for the dimensions I used. Most period examples of split pouches I've found seem to be a tad smaller dimensional wise. I decided to scale the bag up a tad. I also have one in wool that I made awhile back. My only gripe with the wool is fraying... whip stich your exposed edges if you feel the need. I personally like the frayed look but unfortunately after a few years use it looks very ragged, more than I'd like. This is the main reason I went with a deer hide version. Dimensions are:

Length - 25"
Width 5 1/4"

The weaving on the strap was done by a woman who travels our living histoty line here in Ohio, her work is amazing.

Quilled split-belly pouch I made some time ago. Handy for carrying pre-made shot loads and a tin with over-powder/shot cards for my smoothbore. The leather was heavy automotive chamois sewn with linen, turned and the fringe cut. The pinked leather trim around the split was stained with laundry bluing and the entire pouch given a bath in walnut dye.

I'll be... Never even gave a thought to chamois... Like your quilling, one of my crafts that must be done in complete silence!

Well done! You westerners and your fringe! Lol :thumbsup:

Crewdawg445 said:
I'll be... Never even gave a thought to chamois... Like your quilling, one of my crafts that must be done in complete silence!

Well done! You westerners and your fringe! Lol :thumbsup:
Hey - the Deerfield pouch has fringe (1750 Mohawk)... :grin: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ba/cc/a8/bacca890f8ba87d3c156aa062367be3f.jpg

I may be in the West, but I lean East - A Native-influenced frontiersman/scout of the mid 18th Century. As many here, I started in Fur Trade but then followed my interest. My other persona is that of a 1830-40s Physician/Naturalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crewdawg445 said:
Never even gave a thought to chamois...
Chamois is great stuff - the look of braintan without the price (similar to the oil-tanned leather that would have been available in the period). It's not as tough as braintain for heavy wear items (though I have leggings, moccasins, pouches and a rifle sling made from chamois), but beads & quills like braintan. You just need to be a little more selective and find the thickness that works for the project.

Regular box store variety? Obviously not the synthetic knock off's.

Fringe doesn't bother me one bit, unless your at an eastern event! Most have the standard view of the plains tribes and think everyone dressed in heavily fringed war shirts, leggings and accoutrements.

Crewdawg445 said:
Regular box store variety? Obviously not the synthetic knock off's.

Fringe doesn't bother me one bit, unless your at an eastern event! Most have the standard view of the plains tribes and think everyone dressed in heavily fringed war shirts, leggings and accoutrements.
Purchased at any local store that carries automotive supplies (Walmart, Shopko and the like).

Fringe is less common on Eastern items, but it is still present. Much more prevalent on Western items and is over-done by the modern Buckskinners (a real nuisance on clothing in my estimation). You're making leggings, not a Ghillie suit...

Excellent work :hatsoff:

I think fringe in the East was just shorter and not always leather.

Thanks for the measurements :thumbsup:

I have large hands so the bigger the better, I might even bump the width a bit myself. :thumbsup:

Crewdawg445 said:
Here in the East, fringe catches on every twig, tree or brush moving through the forest. One reason it wasn't as practical here as it was in the West.
Not much different here in the West where I live - not so much prairie as woodlands. Mostly pine/fir with a few deciduous trees and plenty of brush to catch every piece of fringe you might have. I only have limited fringe, and that on small accessory pieces - none on clothing, just pouches.

Back