• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Few Stains on Ash

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Laurel Mountain Honey Maple, Maple, and Cherry on an ash board. Then I added some French Red stock filler. Also, had some French Red stain, but didn't like it at all.

The stock filler really enhanced all the Laurel Mountain stains. I may see what kind of finish I have open. And see what that does to these. Thoughts?

The three main stains. Ignore the background. It's a front porch project.

IMG_2845.jpeg

French Red stock filler on the top and French Red stain on the bottom. Stain looks thin.

IMG_2847.jpeg

Top to bottom, Honey Maple with filler, Honey Maple, Cherry, Cherry with filler, Maple, and Maple with filler.

IMG_2853.jpeg

I suppose my current favorite is the Laurel Mountain Honey Maple with the Art's Gun & Sport Shop French Red stock filler. Here it is next to the Honey Maple stain.

IMG_2850.jpeg

I am not a fan of just brown. Really like the golden shades coming through the brown (French Red) filler, with a bit of red. Going to play around with it some more. This is for a Kibler SMR kit I have for the NMLRA class in June at WKU. Since I will be putting a number of finish coats on it, I may mix a drop of the cherry stain in the finish and see how multiple coats look. Ash has a distinctive look with a filler.

Back