• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A few snipe with the sxs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was crow shooting last night and had woodcock flighting around me as it went dark. They chase each other around as night falls. We call it rodding. Makes me smile.

When I was a kid we used to shoot snipe in the swamps until the game warden caught us. The particular snipe we were shooting were protected, this was 60 years ago, We didn't realize it. The warden was understanding, he confiscated the birds an made us go to to the library and look them up and draw pictures of them and write a report on them.

When I was a kid we used to shoot snipe in the swamps until the game warden caught us. The particular snipe we were shooting were protected, this was 60 years ago, We didn't realize it. The warden was understanding, he confiscated the birds an made us go to to the library and look them up and draw pictures of them and write a report on them.
Yes sir we have two snipe. Common and the smaller Jack snipe. The Jack is protected.

Here in the UK you will hear in the mating season in certain areas snipe making a noise when displaying this is what we call drumming , they rise to a great height and swoop to the ground making a drumming noise with their wings . As I said early in this thread woodcock when displaying mostly at dusk can be seen going round and round a certain spinney which is rodding they also call and the noise is rather weird . another unusual thing with woodcock which to many is classed has folk law is the woodcock in threatening circumstance will carry their young to safety. I always thought it was folk law but I have witnessed this on two occasions carrying their young between their legs when in flight.
Feltwad

Been a long time around here since I have seen one, and if I did while hunting I would let it go just as if I jump a pheasant of covey of quail, not many around anymore. Neat little birds.

Back