• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Family Affair - Sausage!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I will make this a short rather than a full blown discussion of specific sausages, but food preparation, cooking etc......
My daughter, son-in-law and 2 granddaughters came by for a long afternoon of smoked wings, beer, wine and meat prep. Everyone went home with the bounty of the days fun.
We ground, seasoned, stuffed and pattied about about 18# of pork butt.....Hot dogs, brats, hot Italian, maple breakfast patties and kielbasa. My son in law is a master brewer and brought us a couple of growlers of his latest batch of dark kolch. (YUMMMMM)
The guys sliced-diced-ground-seasoned and stuffed hog casings and hot dog tubes. The grandkids and my daughter linked and packed.
I put (about) 60 wings on the smoker with 4 different flavors on them. We ate way too much, drank more than what was good for us and had one of the best days we have experienced in a very long time.
God has blessed us in our old age with a beautiful, healthy and active family.
20200215_145914.jpg 20200215_145907.jpg 20200215_150620.jpg 20200215_150610.jpg

That is a great day to be had, butcher day. Used to butcher hogs one day and process the next. Cut, sawed, ground and stuffed the same day. Each family member had a specialty or two. I usually broke and cut, the rest found a slot at the grinder and stuffer. Used real casings. Brings back good memories, Thanks Griz.

Looks as good as I imagine it tastes. Too bad I'm the only one in my family that brews or makes sausage. Sigh. :(
You are lucky this brings them all together. I make a hot Italian with our ducks or a Andouille and everyone is gone.
And no. Its not my cooking. Its the city folk in them.

Back on the bayou in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana, the Habitants make BOUDAIN, a sausage casing stuffed with a rice mixture including spices, chicken livers, sometimes other ground meats and sometimes blood. The kind we made as children of the swamp was boudain blanc, white boudain with no blood. I remember turning the handle on the grinder while mom carefully filled the casings and tied off rings about a foot in diameter. Man you talk about some real food! C'est si Bon! Only thing better was a crawfish boil. You had to waddle away from the table!

Back on the bayou in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana, the Habitants make BOUDAIN, a sausage casing stuffed with a rice mixture including spices, chicken livers, sometimes other ground meats and sometimes blood. The kind we made as children of the swamp was boudain blanc, white boudain with no blood. I remember turning the handle on the grinder while mom carefully filled the casings and tied off rings about a foot in diameter. Man you talk about some real food! C'est si Bon! Only thing better was a crawfish boil. You had to waddle away from the table!
I have a recipe for it, just have not implemented it yet. It does use blood so I am waiting for the right opportunity to butcher a domestic goat and get fresh blood.
I did not want to try it with feral hog. Besides, I usually have let most of the blood out of them by the time I get them home. If the liver is healthy and clean, I do use it though.

That is a great day to be had, butcher day. Used to butcher hogs one day and process the next. Cut, sawed, ground and stuffed the same day. Each family member had a specialty or two. I usually broke and cut, the rest found a slot at the grinder and stuffer. Used real casings. Brings back good memories, Thanks Griz.
I spent a lot of my childhood in Grandma's kitchen. When she was making meat as she called it, she would ring us on the party line and tell momma to send me to her house. My folks and family, my Uncle Ray and his family and my Grandparents all lived on the same Ranch\farm. We were about 1/2 mile (or less) from Grandmas with Uncle Ray about halfway between us. I would spend the whole day on the handle of the #12 either grinding or stuffing, it was used for both.
The reward was almost always chocolate chip cookies, home made ice cream (again with me on the crank, no electric tubs) and a day away from the fields. That was a win-win-win for me.
Sometimes I sit back and close my eyes and I still smell that wonderful aroma of Grandmas Lilac water, hear Johnny and June on the turntable and feel the heat of fresh cookies in the oven drifting back over in the memories from 60 years ago.

Back