• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Double Flintlock Owned By A Signer Of The Declaration Of Independence

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I visited a friends shop to drop off an old plains rifle, to see if he can get it back into service. Then he brings out this double to show me the work he did on it. Forgive me for forgetting the signers name I will have to ask him again. This gun was damaged in a flood, along with all it's contents. I will try and get some more pictures and info on it when I go back to his shop.

Attachments

• IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_9486.JPG
    IMG_9486.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_9487.JPG
    IMG_9487.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_9488.JPG
    IMG_9488.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_9490.JPG
    IMG_9490.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 184
A gun owned by a signer of the DOI & it's is abandoned to a flood?????? That's like leaving 6 figures worth of cash behind. What does "This gun was damaged in a flood, along with all it's contents." mean??? Without provenance the story has no merit. I'm not from Missouri, but you need to "Show me" on this one.

true or not, it's a very very nice gun. It looks like the owner has a lot of archive digging to do to authenticate it.

I bought a gun (40 cal 42" GR Douglas bbl Lancaster) a few years ago with a bunch of wire inlay in it. On the butt stock, are inlaid the initials "F" "P" with wire. I have no idea who that was. But when I take it to the range, I tell everybody that it was owned by Fess Parker. You should see them go ga ga then. I've looked around to see if it is even a possibility, and haven't found a picture of Davy or Dan'l the 2nd with it. It's not that well done of a build otherwise so I think it rather unlikely. I have more fun with it telling the story anyway.

Hi Guys,
The gun is a very nice piece made in the 1790s or early 1800's so it may have been owned by a signer later in his life. I believe it is English and I wish the photos were better so we could see the barrel marks and the name on the locks.

dave

The gun looks typical English London made and resembles the style of John Manton. pity some one had blacked or blued the barrels which should be Damascus brown
Feltwad

It's beautiful, in spite of being flood dampened, regardless of it's historic connection.
I trust it'll get the careful cleaning/restoration it deserves.
Much as I'd love to have the priveledge of guarding it, it belongs in a museum somewhere, available to the most people to see and study.

Regardless of who owned it, this gun started life as a very fine piece, and your buddy did a terrific job of restoration. Looks like it was a virtual "basket case" when he got it. I was astonished to see the percussion conversion was done with whole new locks, and the original flint locks were still intact! That's an impressive collection of accessories, too... Flask, nipple wrench, mainspring vise, wadcutter, an original tin of caps, and other items I can't positively identify from the photo.

That is quite a gun! Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

The lock SEEMS to be engraved Joseph Manton. I'm definitely NOT an expert, but the engraving looks the same as on my Manton flint conversion. Likewise the silver rectangular stamped inlays on the top of the breech are the same. When your friend had the barrel off the stock, hopefully he noted the serial number and proof marks stamped
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 11.25.08 AM.png

on the bottom of the barrels. Somebody smarter than I should be able to date the gun from them

Back