• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A different twist for 2015 hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
As the birthdays just seem to keep coming, and I had already accumulated more Flintlocks than I was using, I decided it was time to thin the herd a bit and moved out a couple of Flintlocks. The .40cal Late Lancaster and the .58cal Early Virginia now have new homes.

I still have a beautiful .62cal Early Virginia Smooth rifle, and a matching Early Virginia built from the same plank with interchangeable .45cal rifled & .54cal Smooth rifle barrels, plus a tack driving .50cal J.P.Dickert.

I didn't deer hunt the .40cal other than to field test 'oldnamvet's custom REALs on deer in 2012...and the place I've ended up being able to squirrel hunt is too close to other activity for me to shoot up into a tree with a PRB and had switched to shot loads anyway. So while I hated to do it, the most practical first Flintlock to let go of was the .40cal Late Lancaster.

Then an interest came up for my .58cal Early Virginia and knowing I had plenty of other calibers & gauges to handle deer hunting, I decided to let it go as well. Down two Flintlocks in two weeks.

The .50cal Dickert has basically lived in it's case most of it's life so it'll start getting used at the range a lot this year and I'll leave the others set up as Smooth Rifles to handle whatever I decide to hunt through 2015.

So I'm looking forward to turkey in the spring and squirrels in the fall with the .54cal Smooth Rifle...and deer hunting will be handled by the .62cal Smooth Rifle. Juggling things up a little might just breathe some fresh air back into shooting & hunting for a couple more years again.

And speaking of spring turkey season...only 97 days to go here...be on us before we know it !
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150411T06&p0=207&msg=Turkey+Season+Opener

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a brave man, Roundball! :hatsoff:

Every time I've parted with a gun, I've ended up regretting it. Sure some of them go idle for a decade or two, but sooner or later I seem to circle back to using them.

I'm avoiding the heartache of parting. I figure my kids can sort it all out after I'm gone! :rotf:

Every time I've parted with a gun, I've ended up regretting it. Sure some of them go idle for a decade or two, but sooner or later I seem to circle back to using them.

Yep, been in that boat myself a few times.

Yeah, a little heart wrenching, like getting rid of part of myself...also having to accept the reality that I don't have decades left, LOL.
And knowing my family wouldn't have a clue what they're worth or how / where to sell them, it was time to start thinning what was really unnecessary excess...still have plenty left

RB,

The way you take of your rifles their new owners will be very happy. Look at this as a new Chapter of your life. I know you have many fond memories walking those rifles through the woods.

After the heart surgery I've found myself selling firearms that I have not used very often. Like you said thinning out the herd.

We are not getting old! We are just aging like fine wine.

I pray the Good Lord keeps you safe in 2015. You have been a big help in my Muzzleloader Journey :thumbsup:

And glad to see you're well along on the mend from that major surgery...will be totally ready for your 2015 shooting / hunting
:thumbsup:

I solved my problem by giving the ones I wasn't using to my children. All four of them shoot BP. My daughter is the best shot of the bunch. They all appreciate them and take very good care of them.

Britsmoothy said:
Daughters are always a better shot! It is the secret killer inside every female!

B :hatsoff:
In the intro to shooting sports program I'm lucky enough to participate in has convinced me girls are better shots than boys. Would like to think they listen better to my sage advise but actually believe they have less to unlearn.They usually out shoot boys 2 or 3 to 1, which I find amazing. The one that shot the "boy part" off a steel ram target at 100 yards had us all in stitches! No idea how or why, but Brit may be onto something! :wink: :rotf:

Roundball, It makes sense to be sure your guns find good homes while you can. Even the ones you hang on to till the end can be arranged for after you're gone. I was contacted last week by a widow friend to help sell the guns she was left with. They are not MLs, but still a bittersweet task.
Paul

Yes, plus, over years I've always taken the position as some others have that my 20ga smooth rifle (and 28ga) would handle all my Flintlock shooting & hunting needs and be the last type Flintlock I'd end up with...and would really want to keep both just to have a back up. I'll use the .50cal Dickert at the range some this year then it'll be the next to go, leaving the 20 & 28ga...each of the kids can have one to hang over their fireplaces (or sell at a pawn shop for $50, LOL)

Well, maybe you pass it on, and it starts a new journey in the hands of another hunter. I'm sure those guns will continue to take their share of game. :wink:

sky hawk said:
Well, maybe you pass it on, and it starts a new journey in the hands of another hunter. I'm sure those guns will continue to take their share of game. :wink:

Heck yeah...
:grin:

Yeah, a little heart wrenching, like getting rid of part of myself...also having to accept the reality that I don't have decades left, LOL.

Seems like I saw similar posts when you thinned the TC herd! :haha:

Well, none of us know how many decades are left, but if there are enough, I'm looking forward to observing your transition to Atlatls. :blah:

Latest posts

Back