• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Day At the Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
We had a nice break in the weather here in N.E. Kansas; sunny, 80°F, low humidity, and a refreshing breeze. Got with a club member and managed to score some 2fg Goex and I was fixed. Rather than use a standard brass adjustable powder measure which are marked in grains, I decided to use a shotgun measure marked 7/8 oz., and 2¼ dr. and see what I get.

Gun:: Track of the Wolf fusil de chasse, 44" bbl., 20 ga. (.615" bore) My loads were as follows:
#1 2¼ dr. 2fg Goex
leather 5/8" dia over powder wad
.610 ball
tow over shot wad

#2 2¼ dr. 3fg Scheutzen
leather 5/8" dia. over powder wad
.610 ball
tow over shot wad
Here are the results
100_1820.jpg100_1824.jpg
I think I like the first load a little better.

That's a nice gun you have. "Bare" ball loads can give minute of deer accuracy at typical woods distances.

Just a thought Cruzatte: Try tow wads fore & aft, but make sure they're large enough so that it takes a bit of effort to seat them. I tried this recently in my T/C Renegade SB (with a .550" RB) and got the same accuracy @ 25 yd. as I did with that RB patched.

Just a thought Cruzatte: Try tow wads fore & aft, but make sure they're large enough so that it takes a bit of effort to seat them. I tried this recently in my T/C Renegade SB (with a .550" RB) and got the same accuracy @ 25 yd. as I did with that RB patched.
I have used tow in the past as an over powder wad. And it smoldered quite obviously without some sort of lubrication. The tow I have is quite old, probably pretty dried out, and short fiber. You can pull apart small wads and roll 'em up into a 5/8" dia. ball easily. The other thing I noticed was the increased fouling. There was nearly as much fouling as there would have been had I been shooting blank loads after five or six shots on a woods walk.

The lesson I've learned is that while tow is an excellent over powder wad, it really needs some kind of lube to keep it from setting the prairie on fire.

Cruzatte, My tow is old & dry too, but the other day I got no smoldering. However, it was necessary to damp swab the bore every 2nd or 3rd shot for the sake of easy seating & accuracy.

Latest posts

Back