• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple of swiss pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I was able to bid on a couple of Swiss pistols.

Because the box wasn`t complete and the pistols aren`t exactly pretty. I got them at a very good price.

They were advertised as a pair of officer`s pistols.

BUT

The caliber is about 8 mm.
The Pistols have no loading position.
There is an adjustable visor.

For me, they are 100 percent target pistols.

But I`m grateful for your opinions.

The Pistols are in great condition and I look forward to shooting with them.

Finally: Sorry for my english.
Mother tongue Bavarian 😂

IMG_7587[1].JPG
IMG_7585[1].JPG
IMG_7578[1].JPG
IMG_7583[2].JPG
IMG_7575[1].JPG
IMG_7580[1].JPG
IMG_7588[1].JPG
IMG_7591[1].JPG
IMG_7592[1].JPG

Very nice target pistols. About 30 cal., set trigger and adjustable for elevation rear sight. Used for both indoor and outdoor matches. Light charges of 7-10 grs. Swiss to 25yds and 12-15grs Swiss to 50yds should be very pleasant and accurate...c

Very nice target pistols. About 30 cal., set trigger and adjustable for elevation rear sight. Used for both indoor and outdoor matches. Light charges of 7-10 grs. Swiss to 25yds and 12-15grs Swiss to 50yds should be very pleasant and accurate...c
Thank you very much. Where do you get the loading data from?
Experienece or list?
I want to shoot the pistols at 25 m

thank you

Thank you very much. Where do you get the loading data from?
Experienece or list?
I want to shoot the pistols at 25 m

thank you

From a member of the US Int. team trying to sell me one at the U.S. nationals (NMLRA) last year. Considering my .36 LePage Caplock likes 12gn. Swiss at 25yds and 15grs Swiss at 50yds shooting a 30cal. with 10-12grs at 25yds should be fine. I have used as little as 9grs Swiss to shoot 98s-100s with the Lepage .36 but I use a tight patch and ball combo with a slightly damp swab each shot. My barrels are also taper lapped very smooth allowing for lighter loads with accuracy needed. That said I do not know the twist of your barrel or it`s condition so my suggestion is only a starting point. Some seem to need a bit more but lighter loads are always easier in gaining points on paper. Lighter recoil is your friend in a paper match...c

Thanks for sharing - nice find! And don’t apologize for your English. A lot of us “native” speakers don’t talk very good English neither. And a lot of us is supposin to be edumacated. 😁

Might these not be dueling pistols? Here are a pair of French duelers:
View attachment 130813

Dueling pistols have no need of set triggers or target adjustable sights. People w/$ ordered made or just store bought pairs of matching shot guns and double barreled rifles not likely used for dueling.Cased matched sets of many things used to be common...

Dueling pistols have no need of set triggers or target adjustable sights. People w/$ ordered made or just store bought pairs of matching shot guns and double barreled rifles not likely used for dueling.Cased matched sets of many things used to be common...
Might these not be dueling pistols? Here are a pair of French duelers:
View attachment 130813
I also agree with No Second Place, you have acquired a great set of target pistols ! In all my years of collecting & shooting these type of original European mfg. pistols I've never seen a set of dueling pistols made with set-triggers. Some sellers call them dueling pistols just because they are cased.
If your an avid shooter these should provide you with superb accuracy.
All of the rifled European built pistols I've shot over the past 50 years have had various styles of fast twist rifling & all have produced excellent groups, even those with with moderately pitted bores.
If the bore still retains strong rifling it can usually be lapped to point where it will load easy, produce tight groups & not foul excessively between shots with the right loads.
NOTE; Above all, the breach of any original pistol or rifle must also be evaluated for safety first especially when excessive erosion is present & it's always a good idea to fit any original percussion firearm with a new nipple. Over the years I've seen locks on several nice originals destroyed when fired with the original nipple because the core of the nipple had eroded away & the powder charge blew the hammer back fare enough to sever the tumbler's axle.
relic shooter

Back