• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple of firsts for me...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently completed a Colonial Rifle Kit by Jim Kibler in .50 - well almost completed it, anyway, as a I still have yet to finish the lock. I wanted to hunt with it in PA for the late season Flintlock, though, so I chose to finish everything on the rifle except the cleaning up of the casting marks on the lock and bluing it, since I was running out of time before I had to leave for PA and something was going to have to wait.

I posted a thread with a question about oil finishing the stock in the Gunmaker’s Bench section a couple weeks back, and got a lot of very helpful replies from a bunch of folks here. Thank you all for that!

Anyway, I was excited to test fire my new rifle, sight it in, and get hunting. So on January 1st, I shot the first two PRB’s through it, at 50 yds with 90 grains of fffg. That seemed to be about as perfect a way to start off the new year as I could imagine.

529E4851-6A36-403F-B551-87102EEF9FC9.jpeg

Here is the target showing the results.
4AE44E5D-28D8-499D-8C00-EEAC71D0BA1B.jpeg

The first shot was 3 1/3” low, but pretty perfect left to right, and the 2nd shot was Just under 1” high and about 1 1/4” left. I was pretty happy considering those were the 1st two shots ever through this rifle, and while I have quite a bit of experience shooting modern smokeless cartridge rifles and pistols, I had only ever shot about a half dozen balls through a friend’s flintlock about a year and a half ago. I’m pretty sure this rifle is capable of better groups than that. I’m sure I just need to practice with it, play around with powder loads and do my part!

The morning of the next day my buddies and I headed out to some public game lands, and I found a nice spot to sit close to two heavily traveled deer trails through some thick brush that included a bunch of that Rosiflora stuff. That is a hateful plant if ever there was one! There was a lot of fresh scat and tracks, and I had a feeling I might just get lucky.

Well I wasn’t wrong, as about 45 minutes after I settled in to a nice spot where I could keep an eye on both trails, two deer came down through some thick brush on one of the trails at a fairly brisk pace. They were startled to see me, sitting about 15 yards away from them, and one doe bugged out, and immediately changed her course and hightaied it out of there. The 2nd deer began to follow the first one, but chose to stop for a couple of seconds to look at me while slightly quartering towards me. Well it was a second or two too long, and the 3rd PRB shot through my new rifle tore through it’s left front shoulder and perforated both lungs.

It tried to run, but that front left leg was useless, and it only managed to get about 20 yds give or take before collapsing. While that was happening, I loaded another PRB, but it wasn’t necessary, because as soon as I finished re-loading and tracking the heavy blood trail for a minute through some thick brush, I found the motionless deer. It turns out that it was a button buck.

That proved to be the only deer I took on this hunt, although I had two other tags, but I’m not complaining. On the contrary, this was such a fantastic gift to start out the new year.

There were several firsts for me on this hunt...

It was the first PA deer I’ve ever taken, although I did hunt this past November with my bow, but did not harvest a deer.

It was the first Whitetail deer I’ve ever harvested. I have taken a couple of Mule deer over the years, and several Red Stags in Scotland.

And, of course, it was the first deer I’ve harvested with a flintlock... and one I built, no less!

It may not be a trophy by most people’s standards, but it is to me, and while it’s certainly the smallest deer I’ve ever taken, the memory of this hunt will stay with me a long time.

5577A3AC-7579-4113-B4F9-F45F479DBF6E.jpeg

D4FF6A25-2D8A-4BBD-A3EF-8F7D47A8431B.jpeg

Attachments

• 690A7A6A-BDD5-4422-9667-B97082689087.jpeg
    690A7A6A-BDD5-4422-9667-B97082689087.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 68
Congratulations on both a beautiful rifle and some tasty venison. I killed my first whitetail with a patched ball last weekend. I've taken several with bows and one with an inline, but this was my first with a ball. Oh, and by the way, yours was bigger! Mine was a doe fawn. I wouldn't have shot her, but my son has not gotten a deer yet this year and he wanted the meat, albeit not much.

I've been considering a Kibler kit, but I'm not sure I want a longrifle. Some of my hunts are from a blind, so I'm afraid it would be rather unwieldy.

Good for you. Well done.
So where in Scotland did you stalk?

B.

I have stalked in and around Blair Athol several times over the years with friends, staying at Kindrochet Lodge, and also up in Applecross. I love Scotland, and I try to join my friends each year, but more often than not work gets in the way. Red Stag are magnificent beasts.

Congratulations on both a beautiful rifle and some tasty venison. I killed my first whitetail with a patched ball last weekend. I've taken several with bows and one with an inline, but this was my first with a ball. Oh, and by the way, yours was bigger! Mine was a doe fawn. I wouldn't have shot her, but my son has not gotten a deer yet this year and he wanted the meat, albeit not much.

I've been considering a Kibler kit, but I'm not sure I want a longrifle. Some of my hunts are from a blind, so I'm afraid it would be rather unwieldy.

30Coup, yes they are shockingly long and in the tight stuff it was sometimes a handful. Finding a hard case for airline travel that it would fit in was also no easy task. It’s a beautiful kit, though, and I look forward to hunting with it out West where most of the places I hunt are much more wide open.

I think I’m going to build a Traditions Mountain rifle for traveling back to PA and other areas with. My buddies had one of those, a Hawken, and a Deer Rifle, all of which were relatively short compared to the Kibler, and easier to deal with in the thick stuff.

Having said that, the quality of the Jim Chambers lock that came with the Kibler kit was exceptional, compared to the locks on the aforementioned guns my buddies had.

Not only was the frizzen, pan and flint much larger, causing far more sparks and reliable ignition than theirs did, but the seal of the pan with the frizzen closed was super tight. I never lost any primer powder walking around with the rifle in all sorts of attitudes to maneuver around the woods.

The mountain rifle my buddy had, would never keep powder in the pan for any appreciable length of time. Is that common with the locks on those Traditions guns? I’m guessing not, and that his is in need of adjustment or maybe replacement of parts. He picked that rifle up used only a few days before our hunt.

Wonderful harvest and story for you, Wentwest. That is a memory you will not soon forget.
I find the long rifle I hunt with isn't any more of an hindrance than the shorter Hawkins I hunt with. The length hasn't caused me to miss shooting at anything, even in the terrible honeysuckle we fight in our woods and fence lines. I feel it balances better for carrying than the shorter rifles do, as well.
Glad for your success.
It is Ohio's Mzlder Season right now and I am sad I tagged out in December. Shooting patched RB's have really grown on me in the past 5 years. They get the job done.

Wonderful harvest and story for you, Wentwest. That is a memory you will not soon forget.
I find the long rifle I hunt with isn't any more of an hindrance than the shorter Hawkins I hunt with. The length hasn't caused me to miss shooting at anything, even in the terrible honeysuckle we fight in our woods and fence lines. I feel it balances better for carrying than the shorter rifles do, as well.
Glad for your success.
It is Ohio's Mzlder Season right now and I am sad I tagged out in December. Shooting patched RB's have really grown on me in the past 5 years. They get the job done.

Thank you, Christophero! My fiends in PA keep talking about heading to Ohio for a hunt sometime. Maybe next year. When I asked how the hunting is in Ohio, the answer was, “Nobody comes from Ohio to PA to hunt.”

I love bow hunting, and I’d say flintlock with PRBs is equally fun and rewarding.

30 coupe, I hunt from a blind with a long rifle yes it can be trying at times but you just have to set up properly with the rifle. A lot depends on the size of the blind. Mine is a permanent structure that was purposely designed to minimize the issues dedicated to using the long rifle. Now a pop up contraption may be a different story.

I have stalked in and around Blair Athol several times over the years with friends, staying at Kindrochet Lodge, and also up in Applecross. I love Scotland, and I try to join my friends each year, but more often than not work gets in the way. Red Stag are magnificent beasts.
Applecross :cool:.
If it was not for siblings my wife and I would of moved to the Highlands a long time ago.

B.

30 coupe, I hunt from a blind with a long rifle yes it can be trying at times but you just have to set up properly with the rifle. A lot depends on the size of the blind. Mine is a permanent structure that was purposely designed to minimize the issues dedicated to using the long rifle. Now a pop up contraption may be a different story.

I do have a pop-up that I bow hunt out of, especially for turkeys, but even the Hawken would be pretty sketchy out of that. My boys and I built a mobile blind on an old wagon running gear. It was designed for bow hunting, but I did manage to shoot a deer out of it with the Hawken this year. Anything too much longer would be interesting at best from that one, I think. I have been considering a Lyman GPR, which would add about 4". I like the ease of cleaning a hooked breech gun without the worry of accidentally wetting the stock. Sitting Fox has a Tennessee Half Stock kit that can be had with a 31" barrel, which would be lighter and shorter. However it is a fixed breech and I'm not sure how the short barrel would effect balance. It's also a couple hundred dollars more I think. Lots of things to consider...

Wentwest, I enjoyed your tale and the pictures. That's is a beautiful rifle you built and a fine deer you killed. I am from Pa. Do you mind me asking, what county and WMU were you hunting in?

Latest posts

Back