• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So hypothetically speaking, let’s say you have a choice between two guns. Both are .50 caliber. Both are about the same price but you can only buy one.

The first one is a used Thompson Center Hawken percussion. It has the Hawken name on the barrel and is factory built (no K in the serial number). All parts are original. Condition is very good.

The second one is a brand new Traditions Kentucky flintlock rifle. This one is new in the box.

Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks
Hands down take the Thompson Center Hawken. Thompson Centers are very well made, good quality, American Made. The gun will last you a lifetime, and they come from a time when this hobby was exploding with people joining, most of them went with Thompson Center for a reason.

So hypothetically speaking, let’s say you have a choice between two guns. Both are .50 caliber. Both are about the same price but you can only buy one.

The first one is a used Thompson Center Hawken percussion. It has the Hawken name on the barrel and is factory built (no K in the serial number). All parts are original. Condition is very good.

The second one is a brand new Traditions Kentucky flintlock rifle. This one is new in the box.

Thanks
I would pass on both as to not waste my money. I would put my money into a smoothbore barrel and a flintlock to make my own. ...that is, if I could only have one gun and only one. That one would be a smoothbore.

I have nothing against Traditions rifles. On the other hand there isn’t an uglier rifle made than a two piece stock traditions Kentucky. Nothing screams cheap more than that stock and that brass plate separating the two halves. I saw a brand new one recently in a local shop. The wood on the two halves were a totally different grain and finish color. Looked terrible. I’d definitely go with the TC.
The two piece CVA so-call 'kentucky' may be uglier. I had one in the early '70s. Couldn't sell it fast enough.

I would pass on both as to not waste my money. I would put my money into a smoothbore barrel and a flintlock to make my own. ...that is, if I could only have one gun and only one. That one would be a smoothbore.

Not what he asked in the original post.

The T/C (period)
I kinda feel sorry for the guy's that are walking around with the "new" Traditions Kentucky.
I mean it's great that they got into the hobby with the entry level gun, but they sure have handicapped themselves with the fun that can be found in an accurate and reliable rifle.
On the other hand my friend, someone that starts out with a "handicapped" gun learns how to overcome all the many Grimlim's that associate themselves with a muzzleloader. if one wants to just load and shoot, get a suppository gun with a 30 round mag.
i have purchased many fine muzzleloaders that were infested with grimlins that taught me a lot.
to answer the OP. I would buy the one that talks to me the most.
if the purchase is purely for yourself to enjoy, whichever one tug's at you.

I already have a couple good smooth bore flintlocks and they are my favorites. Another one is certainly not out of the question.

Funny how tradition goes out the window when it comes down to the crunch. As mentioned primers now rare and Flint is now more versatile then ever. Im surprised up here they have not become more popular now that reloading is hard to come by.
$800 up here for traditions Hawken/Kentuky $700, out of stock. Flints

I lean to TC but give age I would have to consider the bore. One used, one NIB. Flinter yes.
Caps are scarce.

Very, very little experience with T/C but much experience with traditions. Mine were caplock, dead reliable and accurate to a fault....well, not actually a "fault". I can't speak for the the flint locks on either but I agree with Robby about saving coin and getting a really fine rifle.

Thanks
Between the two options I would (and did) go with the Thompson Center.

Same price? TC if in good shape. Good supply of parts, good quality to start with and ability to swap parts, including high grade barrels, sights, etc. Later on, might want to upgrade/customize? - You can sell used TC parts (they bring good money) to upgrade. Not so much for other brands. T/C's have a following for good reason.

Back