• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
So hypothetically speaking, let’s say you have a choice between two guns. Both are .50 caliber. Both are about the same price but you can only buy one.

The first one is a used Thompson Center Hawken percussion. It has the Hawken name on the barrel and is factory built (no K in the serial number). All parts are original. Condition is very good.

The second one is a brand new Traditions Kentucky flintlock rifle. This one is new in the box.

Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks

A couple of depends have to be assessed here.

If the Traditions has the two piece stock and the internally unbridled lock, I would go for the T/C.

If the Traditions Kentucky has the double set trigger, internally bridled flintlock and one piece stock, then the Traditions.

Let’s add this. It’s the two piece stocked Traditions. Also, you already have other flintlock and percussion rifles. You have plenty of powder, caps and flints. So this is just a choice between the two rifles.

I have nothing against Traditions rifles. On the other hand there isn’t an uglier rifle made than a two piece stock traditions Kentucky. Nothing screams cheap more than that stock and that brass plate separating the two halves. I saw a brand new one recently in a local shop. The wood on the two halves were a totally different grain and finish color. Looked terrible. I’d definitely go with the TC.

TC Hawken. Full disclosure: I have zero experience with a Traditions rifle and have been a fan of TC rifles for 25 years. But my experience is basically limited to the Renegade I bought new in 1996 and still have to this day. Just recently picked up an early 1980s TC Hawken that was used but well cared for. I'm confident it will be as good a rifle as my later made Renegade has been.

Plus, it's a Hawken! Classy looking rifle, TCs flagship model for years. I would take the Hawken every time provided it's in good condition.

Also, you already have other flintlock and percussion rifles. You have plenty of powder, caps and flints. So this is just a choice between the two rifles.
The T/C (period)
I kinda feel sorry for the guy's that are walking around with the "new" Traditions Kentucky.
I mean it's great that they got into the hobby with the entry level gun, but they sure have handicapped themselves with the fun that can be found in an accurate and reliable rifle.

Last edited:
Let’s add this. It’s the two piece stocked Traditions. Also, you already have other flintlock and percussion rifles. You have plenty of powder, caps and flints. So this is just a choice between the two rifles.
Well, then neither. I'd keep stuffing my piggy bank till it held no more, then revisit the subject looking for something way better than what I already have.
Robby

I appreciate the responses so far. I didn’t start this thread to bash a brand. I actually like and own both Thompson Center and Traditions guns. I just had my eye on another purchase and then these two came on my radar at the same time. It’s always interesting to hear what other folks have to say though.

I may not pursue either of these two anyway. There’s some other guns in a different price range that I may look at instead.

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Pick up both and see which one feels better when you shoulder it. Have a few rifles all shoot better than I do. Bought a Traditions Kentucky Kit. It's lighter than my Lyman or cva mountain rifle because of the 7/8 in barrel. It's not all traditions now because of modifications I made but it shoulders and points well when I put it together and I feel it will do a good job if I do my part.

Back