A cap Story.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

sussexmuzllodr

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Went out to lake Jordan in NC today. I figured hey, stop at Academy Sports and see what they got in the way of a Point/Stringy discharge bag. Got the bag and in the sporting goods counter was a couple of boxes of large primers and a single pack of CCI #11 caps. Asked the Guy that all you have? Yep. Was the reply. Left the primers and took the Caps. I will take them I said and proceeded to check out. $5.99 . Was thinking as I returned to my car...Its probably going to be a long time before I see these again. I have added them to my supply. The End.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Actually I just received my Ox/yoke Catalog yesterday, and while they still list flints, the price is really high.

Boomerang

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I just received my Ox/yoke Catalog yesterday, and while they still list flints, the price is really high.
Ya, me to. Flints are getting really expensive. If I can’t get caps, I’ll probably just make them. It’s easier doing that than knapping flints. At least for me anyway.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Ya, me to. Flints are getting really expensive. If I can’t get caps, I’ll probably just make them. It’s easier doing that than knapping flints. At least for me anyway.
Making passable flint spalls is not that hard. Mine are not pretty, but they are functional. I can bust out about 10 usable ones in about 20 minutes. About 70% are not usable, so I have a pretty high rejection rate.
But my cost is zero because the white chert I use is found everywhere around here, even in my yard, in nuisance quantities. So if I end up only being able to use a small percentage of the ones I attempt to make, it’s okay.

russellshaffer

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Making passable flint spalls is not that hard. Mine are not pretty, but they are functional. I can bust out about 10 usable ones in about 20 minutes. About 70% are not usable, so I have a pretty high rejection rate.
But my cost is zero because the white chert I use is found everywhere around here, even in my yard, in nuisance quantities. So if I end up only being able to use a small percentage of the ones I attempt to make, it’s okay.
I used to make flints for a Tower pistol with a hammer. Double butt ugly but they sparked fine. Lots of flint in Central California.

William Lincoln

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
With high inflation comes reduced expendable cash. You will see caps and powder galore
as money tightens up. That said ,I believe that every muzzleloader should have at least
one flinter and know how to use it. It is a huge part of our sport and tradition.

towgunner11h

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
With high inflation comes reduced expendable cash. You will see caps and powder galore
as money tightens up. That said ,I believe that every muzzleloader should have at least
one flinter and know how to use it. It is a huge part of our sport and tradition.
And our military heritage!

WP_375

32 Cal
Reaction score
Bass Pro had them in stock online earlier this week, may still be. CCI 11's, $54.99/1000. Ordered 2000. Free shipping to store for pickup. Should take care of my needs for the forseeable future.