• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A CANOE & A BLANKET GUN.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
were there ever such an animal back in the day, did they rely exist.? if so what is / was the difference? or are the figment of the 20th. centuary?

There is documentation of Pontiac having some trade guns' barrels cut back to hide under blankets in preparation for a surprise attack during Pontiac's Rebellion. As a purpose made gun for ease of handling, no. Canoe Guns are a 20th century marketing strategy based on the theory that the shorter smoothbores would be easier to handle in a canoe. Kind of works in practice, but only for short range shots.

Grenadier1758, thanks' for the reply I thought that it was a new thing, the canoe gun. but is the very short, BLANKET GUN, that is about 15 or so inches also a fanticey gun? never was? you see both of them a rendezvous'!

The shortest manufactured Hudson's Bay gun I heard of had a 21" barrel, but it was probably a one-off. Somebody on the Forum I believe found the reference years ago, and I can't recall the details, but it was pretty solid.

Treestalker, OK, then one of them, was actually in use. the BLANKET GUN. as stated a one off, that feller sure got the most out of his precious gun! as stated at that length it was a pistol. real easy to conceal under a blanket! thank you for helping me in my quest / history of these two guns., that we all here so much about. I have read that guns that had damaged barrels such as dented / or burst. were cut back past the damage, by the fort blacksmith, but not manufactured as such!

for shooting a canoe, cute! well I do know. as I said a blanket gun is not a blanket prize at a VOU. I have attended them for many years. you are so funny, I made a serious question and get answers like you posted. maybe now you know? maybe not.? do not respond.

I thought a canoe gun was for shooting a canoe. There is even a Book about it by PF McManus.

And a blanket gun is a prize at rondy off the blanket.

I Dunno? :dunno:
I shot a canoe in a canoe shoot, I was in fact the only one the got it. I was known as Canoe Killer to some
Guns did get cut off then, but damage caused them to be cut.
The old saw about short guns and horses was laid to rest by the fact the typical long Hunter was canoe or horse born. And the great heyday of HBC canoe trade guns were long.
Short guns were made for special service like blunderbuss and carbines

were there ever such an animal back in the day, did they rely exist.? if so what is / was the difference? or are the figment of the 20th. centuary?
There are many photos of short barrelled trade guns and muskets, but they werent built that way. Cut down for whatever reason. They certainly weren’t called by either of those names

as stated, when called by those names, I know that it is a name used in the 20th. century to describe them. I thought that I asked if they existed with the names? I believe that I said they were cut back when damage occurred to them. they were too valuable to discard.

Treestalker, OK, then one of them, was actually in use. the BLANKET GUN. as stated a one off, that feller sure got the most out of his precious gun!

Well not just one. They were smuggled into British forts by females below their pettiskirts, and then handed to the warriors when the attack began.
There are examples of Plains Indians having very short flintlock and caplock guns, which they used from horseback, riding close to an enemy or bison to use it. More akin in the second example to a "horse pistol" kept in a "bucket" on a dragoon's saddle than to a musket, but fashioned from a musket. They may have been fashioned from a damage gun..., the Indians didn't really keep records on them.

How short is considered "Short"?

Well a lot of repro blanket guns are 16" barrels or less
Blunderbuss barrels I've seen available in 20" or less
Canoe Guns I've seen with 24" barrels or less.
I think that the TC White Mountain Carbine was also 24"..., I'd say under 24" for a barrel on a shoulder fired weapon is short. Other's opinions may vary.

Here is a 12" hunting rifle, from the mid 1700. Note that it has an adjustable rear sight. Other very innovative features on found on the lock, and it has a set trigger. It may be newer than it's date in the video. I wonder if this was uncommon, being so short I wonder if perhaps the owner might have been physically impaired and could only hold the rifle up with one hand? I've not seen any others this short, but..., maybe I've simply not looked much at European gun collections? This does show that short, shoulder fired, rifled pieces did exist.

12" Flintlock

LD

Both terms are new to me.
From a Google search.
The word “carbine” is derived from the French “carabinier,” which literally translates to “rifleman.” Historically, French carabiniers are first mentioned at the Battle of Neerwinden in 1693.
Lots of French folks on the frontier so short barreled rifles or muskets may have been around.

the first wheelocks rifles were built on short stocks. And barrels were in the two foot range. Jaegar rifles were often short and even 12 inches were seen

Sorta related I guess

Years ago I bought a CVA muzzleloader for $35 bucks.

I cut the barrel down to 16.5 inches long to make a "canoe gun" out of it.

I really miss that gun. A guy saw it and offered $135 for it so down the road it went.

I should have kept it.

KC

Well not just one. They were smuggled into British forts by females below their pettiskirts, and then handed to the warriors when the attack began.
There are examples of Plains Indians having very short flintlock and caplock guns, which they used from horseback, riding close to an enemy or bison to use it. More akin in the second example to a "horse pistol" kept in a "bucket" on a dragoon's saddle than to a musket, but fashioned from a musket. They may have been fashioned from a damage gun..., the Indians didn't really keep records on them.

Well a lot of repro blanket guns are 16" barrels or less
Blunderbuss barrels I've seen available in 20" or less
Canoe Guns I've seen with 24" barrels or less.
I think that the TC White Mountain Carbine was also 24"..., I'd say under 24" for a barrel on a shoulder fired weapon is short. Other's opinions may vary.

Here is a 12" hunting rifle, from the mid 1700. Note that it has an adjustable rear sight. Other very innovative features on found on the lock, and it has a set trigger. It may be newer than it's date in the video. I wonder if this was uncommon, being so short I wonder if perhaps the owner might have been physically impaired and could only hold the rifle up with one hand? I've not seen any others this short, but..., maybe I've simply not looked much at European gun collections? This does show that short, shoulder fired, rifled pieces did exist.

12" Flintlock

LD
thanks for the post.

Back