• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A builder's bench : tools, vises, etc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s the StewMac Guitar Vise. Same body as the WoodCraft Gunmaker’s Vise but red instead of green, a different crank, and a bit better gears I was told. Not sure about the gears. Great vise.

Last edited:
Midway used to sell a ‘Patternmakers Vice’ by Wheeler that was black. I’ve had one for years and find it very useful. Here is another source. Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com. Not sure about different ‘gears’ as I believe they all use buttress threads of similar diameter and pitch for clamping force.

Yes. No ‘gears’. Well caught. Different thread diameter and a faster pitch if I remember right. Different roller bearings. It’s also 32-33lbs vs the 28 or so for the similar pattern makers/universal/carvers vise. Lots of folks sell them with different colors and mechanisms for different applications. I have an old green one as well. All of them are good but this one really has some slick jaws. Move much easier that my old one.

Last edited:
I used to travel with taps & dies, a few needle files, maybe a gouge chisel, the rest being found in most practical house holds or found at flea markets . I've made grouve planes & chisles as needed . .Its good to have all the fancy tools but its better to know how to use them or make do There are some impressivly tidy workshops I've seen & there are some pilled high tools around the 4" vice. like mine but both shops seem to manage to turn out good work. Our dogs like to' help' by grabbing chisles or screwdrivers to chew the handles of. Two workshops actually flooded after heavy rain .One was in a cellar & the fileings would fall into the water and settle on my gum boots when it dried out I had red gumboots like Paddington Bear .! Not that I don't envy the well appointed workshops .
Regards Rudyard

Once read of a guy down south , that built a rifle in a pit dug under an outside porch. Would love to have looked at that work area. Now that's desire. He inspired me. Any work shop should be better than that one.............Now I have to dig out my copy of FOXFIRE IV and find that story.. Hope that's where the story was located.............oldwood

Try Leevalley.com for the light. Get one with a magnifier in it and you will thank me later.

For the swivel vice, I got mine from Woodcraft.com.

I need one of the magnifying visors. I also want one of the gunmaker's vises. I recently found one for sale used for a fair price and when I inquired, I found that it was going to cost $30 to ship to me, which made it far less reasonable. Definitely need/want one though.
You can get a GRIZZLY "Patternmaker's Vise" for about $160 shipped.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to Woodcraft this weekend. There's will be almost the same amount after tax, but I can look at it before purchase and take it with me without worrying about shipping. Had hoped to find a nice clean one used for pennies on the dollar though. ;)

You can get a GRIZZLY "Patternmaker's Vise" for about $160 shipped.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to Woodcraft this weekend. There's will be almost the same amount after tax, but I can look at it before purchase and take it with me without worrying about shipping. Had hoped to find a nice clean one used for pennies on the dollar though. ;)
I just looked at theirs and looks like it's on sale for $124. :>))

Sweet. Hope it is in my store as well.
If not, order it online. They will ship to you or the store for pickup. I bought one that way last summer when it was on sale. My local WC does not reorder any sale items that has sold out. They are locally owned and prefer to sell it to you full price after the sale is over.

One small piece of advise for using this, or most other types of vise for gunbuilding. Put a nice folded rag below the jaws as shown so if the stock slips while rasping, sanding, carving or otherwise putting pressure on the butt end of the stock you don’t get a pair of dings in your pretty wood. Ask me how I know.

5E29C4A2-930B-4632-88EB-80D227E7494B.jpeg

Back