• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Brother In The NE Needs A Squirrel Recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Care for any Squirrel & Dumplings!

View attachment 1483

I had to hog tie & water board SWMBO too get this Old Family Secret Recipe from her . LOL

She put 4 squirrels cut into pieces in a Crock Pot.

Covered them with water & Cook on High until the meat mostly fall from the bone. (6-8 hrs)
Check water level as needed.

Remove meat too cool on a flat pan. Pick meat from bones after cool.

Pour / Strain remaining water into a large thick pot , place on burner( or if your from Alabama , it’s a stove eye) LOL

Bring too hard boil , then reduce heat when adding dumplins’ to the water to a slow boil .

Get out the dough board , flour the surface of the board ( table or counter top will do if you don’t have a dough board).

Add 2 cups of self rising flour to a large bowl.

Run a 1/4 cup of hot water from the tap ,add to the bowl of flour and stir .

Add more water as needed. Mix Should be just a little thinner than biscuit dough.

Knead flour into mixture to obtain proper consistency.

After consistency is mastered , dip a heaping table spoon full of the dough onto the pre floured dough board.

Sprinkle flour onto your rolling pin( smooth glass/ wine bottle) and the spoon full of dumplin’ mix / dough.

Roll flat & cut into thin strips, then add too the boiling broth / water.

Continue rolling out dumplins’ until you reach your needed amount .

Add picked squirrel meat too the pot.

Use wooden spoon to gently mix the meat into the broth and dumplns’

Cover pot ,then occasionally stir mix as need too keep from sticking too the pot.

Cook- 45 minutes until dumplins are cooked .

Salt & Pepper too taste....

There great with enough black pepper just too burn your tongue .... a little .

That’s it!

Now here my recipe ....

Go too the grocery store in the frozen food section look for frozen dumplings.

Throw em’ squirrels in a big thick pot and boil the meat off the bones.

Remove meat from pot to cool , pick off bones after cool.

Strain any remaining squirrel parts from the water, then bring to a hard boil.

Open frozen dumplings and add too the boiling broth after reducing heat to a slow boil.

Add squirrel meat stirring in slowly.

Season with salt & Pepper too taste, I Love plenty of black pepper on em’ .

Cook until dumplings are done then serve !!!

PS :,Don’t let your tongue beat your brains out! LOL

Enjoy!

Mary B’s is the brand name of the frozen dumplings we’ve used.

SMO,

Your lady's recipe looks GREAT & I will try it soon, as I have about a dozen squirrels, that are too old to fry, in the freezer.
(Tell her THANK YOU & that the recipe reminds me of the dumplings that my governess made me often, when I was a child. - I truly LOVED those dumplings, whether with squirrel/chicken.)

yours, satx

I grew up eating Squirrels(gray). Every Sunday my Grandmother would cook whatever I brought home and have a big dinner (usually rabbits and Squirrels). I was a teen so I would skin the tree rats and save the front and rear legs and the backs. She would pressure cook them with chicken broth,garlic, celery and onion. After cooking for 35-40 minutes let the pressure go down by itself then add potatoes and carrots...cook for ten more minutes and quick cool under cold water. Remove everything from the cookers and make a gravy with the remaining liquid. This was melt in your mouth eating. I liked the front and rear legs my Grandmother enjoyed the backs. The meat was fall apart tender. The gravy was the best I ever had.I should say the MOST important part of cleaning Squirrels is getting every bit of fur off. I would usually soak both rabbits and Squirrels in cold water with a little baking soda over night.

default.jpg
default.jpg

Slow cook chuncks with quail, dove and rabbit. Put in white cream sauce with cubed turnip an traditional stew veggies. Serve with jalapeno cornbread.

Gots to use that crock pot juice!! Good stuff Smo, makes me want to grab a fork and eat it off the screen!! Take heed OP, that is how it is done
You can also get those cans of cheap biscuits and quarter them up just pinch them off .they work and they test good also . that's just an alternative to the frozen dumplings

Damn, now I'm hungry. But I'm on the Colorado River, and it's desert on both sides. You won't find too many squirrels up in mesquite trees.

But I tell you what, these recipes have me eyeing the neighbor's puppies. They're about the right size...

Chow Mein ?????? :ghostly:

Skinning a squirrel is easy, IF you do it immediately after the Kill. I place the squirrel on it's belly, lift the tail, and cut along the base of the tail and thru the bone. Turn the squirrel over, step on the tail as close to the body as possible, and pull up slowly on the hind legs until you get to the neck. The remaining skin on the rear legs is grasped and pulled off. Takes about 1 minute.

I grew up eating squirrels, and I hunt them dilligently every year, but my wife won't eat or cook them. I take the cleaned squirrels, boil them in salted water until the meat is easy to pull off, and put the meat is Spagetti sauce. She never knows the difference.
I think that's the essential point. And it also applies to rabbits (and probably other small game, too); I don't let 'em get cold before I skin them.

I make stew out of my squirrels in the Crock Pot. I wrap the squirrel meat in cheesecloth and tie it shut. Push the sacks of squirrel down into the juice and let everything cook until done. I then pluck out the bags of squirrel and separate the meat and bones. I hate picking out those tiny bones when I'm hungry.

WHOA!!!! JW, that recipe brings back a lot of fond memories granma used to do the same and make biscuts the size of cat's head.

i've only had squirrel cooked chicken fry style. got to looking at this subject and took a little from all the dumpling recipes and made a pot in the pressure cooker using one of the ready pot style.
wife said she wasn't interested and would just do a PB&J but when she saw the results we both dined on the pot. she was impressed with the taste and outcome. had to cheat and use can biscuits because i was in a hurry.

Attachments

• good food.jpg
    good food.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 74
What I would give to have a plate of my mom's squirrel and dumplings.
Many of her recipes didn't survive her because they were all made from scratch.
Her cat head biscuits were legendary, and I recall asking her for the recipe.
She said hun i just put flour on the counter then crisco, etc etc.
I asked her to put out the flour as usual then measure it, the same with other ingredients.

A couple weeks later dad called me, told me to tell mom i didn't want the recipe anymore...i said why would I do that. He said your mom has ruined the biscuits everyday since you asked for the recipe...
I'm smiling just thinking about that....damn i miss them.

Put the meat in a skillet just long enough for it to change color from pink to beige. Let it cool and pull the meat off with a fork. Make a bowl of meat. Put 3 cooked sweet potatoes in a blender with 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon , 5 capfulls of vanilla extract and 3/4 cup of cream. Blend until mixed but lumpy. Add squirrel meat and blend until mostly smooth. Put in a pie crust (top crust or not is your choice). Bake at 425 for approximately 22 minutes. Squirrel pie! NOTE: You can use white potatoes if you don't like sweet, but usually I follow the aforementioned and add 5 cloves of garlic and 1 pinch of parsely.

Care for any Squirrel & Dumplings!

View attachment 1483

I had to hog tie & water board SWMBO too get this Old Family Secret Recipe from her . LOL

She put 4 squirrels cut into pieces in a Crock Pot.

Covered them with water & Cook on High until the meat mostly fall from the bone. (6-8 hrs)
Check water level as needed.

Remove meat too cool on a flat pan. Pick meat from bones after cool.

Pour / Strain remaining water into a large thick pot , place on burner( or if your from Alabama , it’s a stove eye) LOL

Bring too hard boil , then reduce heat when adding dumplins’ to the water to a slow boil .

Get out the dough board , flour the surface of the board ( table or counter top will do if you don’t have a dough board).

Add 2 cups of self rising flour to a large bowl.

Run a 1/4 cup of hot water from the tap ,add to the bowl of flour and stir .

Add more water as needed. Mix Should be just a little thinner than biscuit dough.

Knead flour into mixture to obtain proper consistency.

After consistency is mastered , dip a heaping table spoon full of the dough onto the pre floured dough board.

Sprinkle flour onto your rolling pin( smooth glass/ wine bottle) and the spoon full of dumplin’ mix / dough.

Roll flat & cut into thin strips, then add too the boiling broth / water.

Continue rolling out dumplins’ until you reach your needed amount .

Add picked squirrel meat too the pot.

Use wooden spoon to gently mix the meat into the broth and dumplns’

Cover pot ,then occasionally stir mix as need too keep from sticking too the pot.

Cook- 45 minutes until dumplins are cooked .

Salt & Pepper too taste....

There great with enough black pepper just too burn your tongue .... a little .

That’s it!

Now here my recipe ....

Go too the grocery store in the frozen food section look for frozen dumplings.

Throw em’ squirrels in a big thick pot and boil the meat off the bones.

Remove meat from pot to cool , pick off bones after cool.

Strain any remaining squirrel parts from the water, then bring to a hard boil.

Open frozen dumplings and add too the boiling broth after reducing heat to a slow boil.

Add squirrel meat stirring in slowly.

Season with salt & Pepper too taste, I Love plenty of black pepper on em’ .

Cook until dumplings are done then serve !!!

PS :,Don’t let your tongue beat your brains out! LOL

Enjoy!

Mary B’s is the brand name of the frozen dumplings we’ve used.
That looks like Pennsylvania squirrel pot pie with the homemade thick dough noodles, classic and delicious!!

Back