• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Brace of Dragoon Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a pair of the English dragoon pistols and the only part that was a real pain was the butt cap. These two pistols were built from TRS parts and the tines of the butt caps were so thick that I could not bend them out to inlet the caps in the usual way. I had to start at the lower end of the butt and work them a little at a time into place. All the parts (i.e. the barrel, lock, trigger, ram rod pipes, etc.) are fairly easy to inlet...except the butt cap, in my experience.

How long did it take to receive your order?

(Last week I got the Harpers Ferry rifle set i ordered a year ago… I had them finish the lock because I don’t have a cool table top furnace like yours ;-)… not to mention the requisite skills! )

I built a pair of the English dragoon pistols and the only part that was a real pain was the butt cap. These two pistols were built from TRS parts and the tines of the butt caps were so thick that I could not bend them out to inlet the caps in the usual way. I had to start at the lower end of the butt and work them a little at a time into place. All the parts (i.e. the barrel, lock, trigger, ram rod pipes, etc.) are fairly easy to inlet...except the butt cap, in my experience.

You gotta make nice fitted case for the pair with accoutrements!
The buttcap inletting was worth the effort, they're very nice.

David,

Yes I built the locks from parts supplied by TRS. However, I need to remake / modify the tumblers on both locks.....the half cock position puts the flint way too close to the frizzen face (i.e. I have to pick out a short flint to allow the frizzen to close with the cock at half cock). I didn't notice this problem until I had the locks completed and installed in the pistols.

Hi Dave,
You can never trust the witness marks on TRS parts. I am surprised the tumbler notches were not correct for half cock. It is usually that the full cock notch is too far from halfcock causing the throw of the cock to be ridiculously long.

dave

Beautiful pistols and great work!

Dave and Dave - (Perssons and Crisalli) - is that a matter of cutting a new location for the half-cock notch? Little bit closer to the full-cock notch? I am guess that if so, it would be necessary to start with an un-notched tumbler, right?

I have TIG welded up the half cock notch on another tumbler, then re-cut it in the correct location, and then re-hardened the tumbler. Not sure if if I will do the same here or just turn out new tumblers for both pistols.

Nice pistols (would come in wooly bags 'shoddys'rather than a case being service pistols) . The too little clearance at half cock is a failing with many locks but a longer scear nose often cures that failing . I found the scear of a North Star lock would fit in a Siler & cure the problem .
Rudyard

Hi Dave,
A longer sear nose might just work particularly because those locks do not have fly detents. A longer sear nose would be held further from the tumbler notches when the trigger is pulled. Rudyard, that is a great idea!!!

dave

Latest posts

Back