• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A brace of brand-new wheellock pistols - and a couple of shots......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, .53cal ball over 43gr of whatever - certainly a man-stopper. To see them in [movie] action, watch the closing scenes of the historical movie 'Alatriste' [Viggo Mortensen] and the tertio formation at the Battle of Rocrois. I defy any of you to watch this part of the movie without a slight misting-up of the screen.

Amazingly, these beautiful anachronisms - even though they replicate arms from four hundred years ago, are treated here in UK exactly the same way as though they were a modern firearm. I guess the authorities have serious concerns that a person who has just paid out $15-20K for a a pair of single-shot pistols must be on the point of high-tailing it down to the local corner store to hold it up....

Last edited:
I can see an advantage, from the flint not slamming into a frizzen ,jarring your aim. But a matchlock can do the same for cheaper. Yes I am envious!🧐

I can see an advantage, from the flint not slamming into a frizzen ,jarring your aim. But a matchlock can do the same for cheaper.

Dear Mr Squanch, I admit to being very much looking forward to watching a video that you have made of your good self riding a horse and shooting a matchlock...

OTOH, there HAS to be a good reason why one does not see this happening in the historic record, but we DO see cavalry/dragoons/carabiniers and so on portrayed using wheellocks, as indeed they are in 'Alatriste' and even the older 'Cromwell'. There is also a truly fabulous Russian movie called '1612' which deals with the Russo-Polonic war and in particular, the use of artillery and the Polish Winged Hussars - well worth watching, especially the leather cannon sending a red-hot shot straight into the opposition's powder magazine.

Native Indian troops and the Chinese were supposed to be able to handle matchlocks on horseback, according to historical accounts I have read. I will NOT be trying it anytime soon. Besides, I don’t own a horse!

I'm so old that I remember when the milk was delivered by a horse drawn wagon.

Those are an impressive pair of pistols!

WOW !!!! is right. What a fantastic brace of wheellock pistols. As they sometimes say......don't think it gets any better than this. LOL He was sooooo excited opening that box. May of us who have ordered custom made guns know that excitement of removing the screws from the box in anticipation.

And thanks so much for that wonderful movie clip. Terrific !!!

Rick

Yup, .53cal ball over 43gr of whatever - certainly a man-stopper. To see them in [movie] action, watch the closing scenes of the historical movie 'Alatriste' [Viggo Mortensen] and the tertio formation at the Battle of Rocrois. I defy any of you to watch this part of the movie without a slight misting-up of the screen.

Amazingly, these beautiful anachronisms - even though they replicate arms from four hundred years ago, are treated here in UK exactly the same way as though they were a modern firearm. I guess the authorities have serious concerns that a person who has just paid out $15-20K for a a pair of single-shot pistols must be on the point of high-tailing it down to the local corner store to hold it up....

Interesting video, tho I couldn't understand a word....now it's down the rabbit hole doing research on Rocrois.
Thanks for posting

Back