A Bowling Ball Cannon! God This Looks Like Fun

Discussion in 'Cannon' started by Mulebrain, Jul 10, 2005.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 20, 2005 #21

3 stinky dogs

3 stinky dogs

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.

Gosh I would sceard of shooting an airplane down or somthing.But I do want to hang with you guys for a weekend!

2. Jul 27, 2005 #22

Johnson

Johnson

Johnson

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

I watched a bowling ball mortar demonstration at Pine Creek ( WA ) a few years back and on the last shot the ball split into two or three parts, each taking their own trajectory... lots of people scrambled for cover! :eek:

3. Jul 27, 2005 #23

musketman

musketman

musketman

Passed On

Now I wonder if that would be covered under the ball's warrantee... :haha:

4. Jul 29, 2005 #24

Gary

Gary

Gary

58 Cal.

I met a U.S. Park Police Lt. who told me he served as a reenactor during college. One day they loaded more than the required 2 ounces of powder and gave it a full load. The ball sailed out of sight. :redface: When the rangers found out, they were pissed. The cannoneers formed a skirmish line and marched off to find the ball. They found it very far away and luckily no one or nothing beneath it. Beers, mortars and youth don't mix.

5. Aug 17, 2005 #25

rebelyell

rebelyell

rebelyell

32 Cal.

Gentlemen,

I am not in any way shape or form an expert. Nor do I want to be a wet blanket... I would proceed with extreme caution. If you are dealing with welded seems and breeches you probably don't want to patch anything. You only need to blow the breech out of a "gun" one time to meet God. I don't risk my crew around anyone shooting from homade tubes.
    (Heck, Hern makes a good lined tube that is pretty inexpensive).

6. Aug 26, 2005 #26

mazo kid

mazo kid

mazo kid

70 Cal.

A few years ago an instructor of a Machine shop class made a bowling ball mortar. I don't recall the dimensions, but it was definitely a heavy walled mortar. He put an eyebolt in one of the finger holes of the bowling balls and tied a bright ribbon to the eyebolt. I asked him if that was to watch the ball when it was shot and he replied that it was to find the ball when it returned to earth. He used a 12 ga. shotgun shell filled with 1fg black powser; it would launch the bowling ball just about out of sight nearly straight up and the ball would bury itself in the ground when it landed. Lots of fun!! Emery

7. Feb 22, 2006 #27

charcloth

charcloth

charcloth

40 Cal.

Hey Mule Brain,

I have two friends who each own bowling bal mortars. One is just a "Pipe" like the one you refrenced, the other is actualy a full scale seige mortar. They are both fun but the latter is freakin awesome!

Charcloth

8. Feb 22, 2006 #28

coehornboy

coehornboy

coehornboy

40 Cal.

Here is a BB Mortar... made from hydraulic tubing. The breech plug goes in the barrel at least 4 inches, and is curved on the bottom, which adds another 6 inches or so of steel. It has a powder chamber built in. If you look close, you can see the big piece of gear that was cut and welded to the bottom of the breech and allows for the tube to be raised or lowered...we have lowered the tube to "horizontal," and shot bowling balls on alkalai flats until they hit the targer berms at 200 yards...then they get airborn. We have also been inventive w/ little parachutes attached to the bowling balls with eyebolts, and even with cannister shot consisting of a few dozen golfballs!!

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of it firing...

[​IMG]

:shocked2: :v

9. Feb 23, 2006 #29

John Taylor

John Taylor

John Taylor

45 Cal.

I made a few BB mortars several years back, still have one. With 3 ounces of powder you can put a ball out of sight.

[​IMG]

I have the bore very close to ball diameter and found that some balls will swell up in the sun and won't fit untill they cool off.

10. Feb 23, 2006 #30

As you can see John does some great work, he's done work for me in the past, one item he's done is my "Swiss Candlestick" handgonne. He turn the breech / socket piece and breeched the barrel.

[​IMG]

You can find the address to his website in his profile.

[​IMG]
    CP

11. Mar 25, 2006 #31

GunneyG

GunneyG

GunneyG

32 Cal.

Here is a short video (5 meg) of a bowling ball mortar. Turn up the sound to hear it whistle.